VAIO and FreeBSD

Hi,

I would like to create a dual-boot on my VAIO SVE1713C5E, Windows 8/FreeBSD.

BIOS Informations:
  • 
  • SecureBoot disabled
  • boot external device enabled
  • boot on external device placed before boot on HDD
  • BIOS on UEFI
When I try to boot on my USB with FreeBSD, if I go in "assist" and "boot on an external device (or something like that)", I get
Code:
Operating system not found
When I just press On/Off, windows 8 directly starts.

So, I would like to know how to boot on my USB with FreeBSD?

Secondly (if I succeed to boot on FreeBSD), is there some special action to do to configure the dual-boot ( boot0cfg -B ada0 seems to crash the original Windows 8 boot and neither Windows 8 nor FreeBSD can start)?

I first tried to change UEFI with Legacy, the USB boot, but when the freebsd FreeBSD installation is complete and I restart, I get
Code:
Operating system not found
I tried again with boot0cfg -B ada0 and I got
Code:
F1 ?     F6 PXE
wWhen I put F1, "#" is written again and again.

Thanks,
Jabberwock03

Don't use the boot manager of FreeBSD, Windows 7 and above really doesn't like it. You can use EasyBCD.

Your Windows is probably using UEFI boot, combining this with FreeBSD's BIOS boot is going to be tricky. I barely got it to work but still can't use a boot selector. My system now boots FreeBSD by default and using the UEFI/BIOS boot selector I can boot Windows 7.

So, you think I should install freebsd FreeBSD with a legacy bios BIOS, and choose the OS start system with the system bios BIOS?

You must install FreeBSD using the legacy BIOS boot option. There's currently no support to UEFI boot FreeBSD, there is some work going on but it's not there yet.

You could try rEFInd but I've been unable to get it working due to lack of time. So I settled with the UEFI/BIOS boot selection for the time being.

Back