Other UUID confusion

I'm trying to establish the correct UUID for the fstab of a bootable Linux partition, but am confused about how to establish this on FreeBSD.

So far I have found three methods each of which provides different values.

gpart show -r da0
gpart list da0 | grep uuid
ls -l /dev/gptid

I notice that gpart list da0 | grep rawtype produces the same results as the first method, so am tempted to think this is the correct value, or at least the one that is the same as a Linux created value.

Am I right in thinking so?

As this seems to be a linux question disguised as FreeBSD one (fstab(5) does not say anything about uuids), could you at least let us know what is the UUID you are looking for? Is it shown by file -s /dev/da0..., by chance?

file -s /dev/da0p3:

Code:
/dev/da0p3: Linux rev 1.0 ext4 Filesystem data, UUID=8635b1f9-e434-4889-bede-aa86255803c5 (extents) (64-bit) (large files) (huge files)

This does not correspond to any of the values obtained by the other methods.

"UUID" by itself doesn't define anything, there are partition types (defined by specification) and per-partition UUIDs (random?) (that's likely what you see with gpart), there are apparently FS type (defined?) and per-FS UUIDs (random?) (which you can use to mount it in linux?), which file shows you.

Back