Using OpenCL on FreeBSD

astyle

Daemon

I'm trying to get OpenCL going on FreeBSD. The GPU that I have is an Asus Radeon RX 550 4 GB. Per these instructions, I installed lang/clover, benchmarks/clpeak, devel/ocl-icd, deve/clinfo, and graphics/drm-kmod. I successfully got a Plasma Wayland session going, so I know graphics/drm-kmod is working. And I have everything compiled from ports, with as many options enabled as possible. The ports snapshot is from early July.

My problem is really the fact that benchmarks/clpeak keeps dumping core and crashing. If I don't start Plasma Wayland, I can actually get my benchmarking numbers on the TTY before clpeak announces 'core dumped'. Trying to run clpeak inside a Plasma Wayland session (e.g., Konsole) crashes the GUI session so hard, I can't even SSH in and reboot.

Today, I tried to see if Blender can take advantage of OpenCL. There's a config option that I tried:
1627097133999.png

Trouble is, selecting OpenCL made Blender crash and dump core.

This is making me conclude that even though I do have properly compiled codecs on VLC, and it will play stuff reasonably smooth, even the HD stuff, I can't use GPU acceleration properly at this point. Not for playing videos, not for speeding up renders on Blender, not for transcoding/subtitling videos. My Ryzen 5 1400 (3.4 GHz) is still stuck doing the heavy lifting for all that.

I strongly suspect this has something to do with devel/ocl-icd not working properly... both clpeak and clinfo crash. I've seen suggestions to use valgrind, and I discovered oclgrind recently to troubleshoot this.

OP
astyle

astyle

Daemon

Did some research, only to discover that my hardware may be unsupported:
  1. According to ROCm's github page, my GPU is actually supported, but my CPU is not on the list. Closest thing to my CPU is a Ryzen 5 1600 (Mine is 1400), and Amazon shows it for ~$200 USD. The difference is something called PCI-E Atomics. According to ROCm docs, it is important to have that. Haven't explored the issue further, but I suspect that PCI-E Atomics could be the reason behind the core dumps I mentioned in the previous post.
    1. It may be a viable option to look at sysctl(8) or even the BIOS to see if PCI-E Atomics can be set using those methods - needs to be explored further.
  2. My mobo (Asus B350 Prime): Yeah, it will support the 1600 (and even one more GPU for CrossFire, per GPUmag.com and pcpartpicker.com). Doesn't look like a B-chipset vs X-chipset mobo is really the issue... At least that's the conclusion I drew from a quick glance at official documentation.
  3. It does sound like X570 mobos with Zen 3 CPU's will propertly support PCI-E Atomics. Looks like Zen 3 first, then an X570 mobo for best results.
  4. I did briefly consider trying a Windows install on my hardware just to see if that makes a difference for Blender being able to use OpenCL. After all, it's just a matter of swapping in a different SSD. But even then, that's time consuming, and I'm reluctant to blow $30 on an SSD just to find that out.

OP
astyle

astyle

Daemon

Yeah, my research did confirm that Vull had compatible hardware, unlike me. That's most likely why he had no segfaults, and could go much further than I could.

Seems like that mesa-libs bug is still open... As I suspected, it does have something to do with graceful exits, as in, not properly handling lack of support for PCI-E Atomics.

Looks like my options are: 1. Buy a compatible CPU ($200), or 2. Save up and build another rig with compatible parts (Cezanne Zen 3 CPU on an X570 mobo with a Big Navi GPU). I'm frankly leaning towards the latter, even though it will come much later.

Marking this SOLVED, because I did enough research to track the problem down to incompatible hardware...

Vull

Aspiring Daemon

Yeah, my research did confirm that Vull had compatible hardware, unlike me. That's most likely why he had no segfaults, and could go much further than I could.

Seems like that mesa-libs bug is still open... As I suspected, it does have something to do with graceful exits, as in, not properly handling lack of support for PCI-E Atomics.

Looks like my options are: 1. Buy a compatible CPU ($200), or 2. Save up and build another rig with compatible parts (Cezanne Zen 3 CPU on an X570 mobo with a Big Navi GPU). I'm frankly leaning towards the latter, even though it will come much later.

Marking this SOLVED, because I did enough research to track the problem down to incompatible hardware...
Might check pawn shops; I just got lucky finding this Lenovo G50-45 laptop w/1TB hdd for $200 at a nearby pawnshop and it's proven to be very compatible with FreeBSD-13.0-Release and the newer drm-kmod stuff.

OP
astyle

astyle

Daemon

According to ROCm's github page, my GPU is actually supported, but my CPU is not on the list. Closest thing to my CPU is a Ryzen 5 1600 (Mine is 1400), and Amazon shows it for ~$200 USD. The difference is something called PCI-E Atomics. According to ROCm docs, it is important to have that. Haven't explored the issue further, but I suspect that PCI-E Atomics could be the reason behind the core dumps I mentioned in the previous post.
What's driving me nuts is that ROCm (Debuted in 2019) only supports a limited subset of AMD's own processors - but Intel - no problem since Haswell (Released in 2013)! From get-go Intel's CPU had no problems, but AMD's own got no love. To top it off, NVidia has no problems running OpenCL kernels - clpeak's project page features clpeak being run on an NVidia card!

OP
astyle

astyle

Daemon

1. Blender always crashes with Clover (due to bugs in the latter).
Not Clover, but mesa-dri. The bug report suspects problematic exit handling in that Mesa lib, and I did see which file. I also hypothesized the exit crash might be be due to mesa-dri not handling lack of CPU support for PCI-E Atomics.
2. Clover doesn't have anything to do with ROCm's hardware requirements.
Yes and no. Clover kernels can run on NVidia no problem. lang/intel-compute-runtime is 'Clover for Intel CPUs with iGPU' and lang/pocl is 'Clover compiler for ignoring a GPU, and running on a CPU'. All that doesn't change the fact that if you want to run a Clover kernel on an AMD GPU, you have to have ROCm-compatible hardware.
3. Future Blender versions will not support OpenCL: https://code.blender.org/2021/04/cycles-x/.
Yeah, I saw this, too. Until Blender releases 3.0, it is actually able to use OpenCL. For time being, I'm treating that as a quick-and-dirty way to check that OpenCL actually works on AMD GPU.

shkhln

Daemon

Not Clover, but mesa-dri. The bug report suspects problematic exit handling in that Mesa lib, and I did see which file.
Clover is the name of the OpenCL driver bundled with Mesa: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Mesa-20.3-OpenCL-1.2-Clover. (Mesa's components have their own names because there are often multiple alternative ones.)

I also hypothesized the exit crash might be be due to mesa-dri not handling lack of CPU support for PCI-E Atomics.
That's a completely baseless assumption.

Yes and no. Clover kernels can run on NVidia no problem.
"Kernel" is not a part of the driver, that's a fancy term for the program executed on GPU ("shader" is another one). So, they are just OpenCL kernels. And, of course, Clover doesn't run on Nvidia [proprietary driver], Nvidia has their own OpenCL implementation.

To be clear, a GPU driver is the code that runs on CPU that is tasked with compiling and submitting shaders for GPU execution as well as submitting/receiving data for/from those shaders. GPU drivers don't run on GPUs!

lang/intel-compute-runtime is 'Clover for Intel CPUs with iGPU' and lang/pocl is 'Clover compiler for ignoring a GPU, and running on a CPU'.
No, just no.

All that doesn't change the fact that if you want to run a Clover kernel on an AMD GPU, you have to have ROCm-compatible hardware.
Incorrect.