Using a video as a splash screen

• Thread starter Deleted member 49176
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 49176

Let's say I wanted to program and add a video or a high definition animation of some sort as a splash screen, how would I go about doing that in FreeBSD? (I am a beginner of course)

Ideally the console framebuffer device would support the accelerated features of the videocard just like the devices under X do and that would give an easy way to play videos trough it but that's still very far off in FreeBSD.

It is must looking good. You need GIF support in a kernel (very bad idea).

See my reply above, there are proper ways to implement such things as graphics and video playback on a console that do not require polluting the kernel with unnecessary components.

It is very interesting how you are planning make splash before loading userspace utilites and not loading kernel modules (polluting the kernel). UEFI? Modifying boot Stage1,2?

Last edited by a moderator:
Fancy splash screens do make a good project but IMHO it is not a very good idea to do splash (ans similar histrionics) in the bootloader or even in the kernel. That is best done at the user space with it's plethora of supporting libraries and the like.

Nonetheless, YMMV and all the best

You could write a kernel module to support animated GIFs and the like and preload it with the kernel and unload it later, but with all the different hardware that is out there, you would need to run it on a generic video mode. Not all platforms have the same video modes, or even pixel formats! The problem with doing video is that you would have to code for all the different hardware accelerated chipsets out there (There's still quite a few different ones), and then use a video codec to decode the video and update the screen via the device driver. Now that is pretty involved because since there is really nothing available at that stage of the booting process, you will have to write everything from the ground up and have it operate correctly in kernel mode without causing a system crash or panic.

I used to have a splash screen, but I removed it because I figured it was better to watch the kernel startup for any errors or problems. A splash screen hides that.

How much different platforms working good under FreeBSD? i386, x64 :) thats all. We are need ARM suupport, but ... So, in intel arch's SVGA 640x480x8bpp support always work good. We have not problems in our poor hardware, but software GIF decode and animate is a problem for a boot stages without UEFI or additional kernel level modules. However, topic starter says about high definition screens. IMHO, put a heavy graphics capabilities into the kernel level is a big error (this is a windows'95 way with "bugs", "gluck's" and BSOD).

I agree. Historically, the biggest problems with Windows wasn't security (surprise!), it was with buggy device drivers. In Windows, drivers run at kernel level. So a buggy device driver will blue screen the computer. A Windows system with all Microsoft generic drivers is virtually crash-proof...at least in my experience.

I agree. Historically, the biggest problems with Windows wasn't security (surprise!), it was with buggy device drivers. In Windows, drivers run at kernel level. So a buggy device driver will blue screen the computer. A Windows system with all Microsoft generic drivers is virtually crash-proof...at least in my experience.

So do the device drivers in Linux and FreeBSD. Neither of them implements any micro-kernel features that would separate the drivers from the kernel core to user-space processes.

OK. I can't stand it. I'll bite. I pretty sure you could do it. Granted, without additional support, HI-DEF is out. But as to an animated startup; this is old stuff, and will work on even the oldest of graphics cards -- their all bitmaped screens.
So, if you're a good pixel pusher, and bit shifter, you could probably get Imagemagick's convert() to convert a video into an animated bitmap. H{...}ll, Micro$oft has been doing it for years! :)

Just a thought. :)

--Chris

The microkernel design is a good idea, if it was implemented properly. I am not sure about other platforms, but on IA32 and AMD64, there are four rings of protection. Ring 3 being user mode, ring 0 being kernel mode. Now if it was me, I would have all device drivers placed in ring 1. That way, if a buggy one is loaded, it won't bring down the whole system.

Back