Solved USB My Passport Ultra stopped working on USB3 ports

I bought a WD My Passport Ultra 2TB drive about a month ago. Until two days ago it had been working just fine as a USB3 drive. But when I plugged it into the same USB3 port on the same 9-STABLE system two days ago I got a message like this:
Code:
usb_alloc_device: Failure selecting configuration index 0:USB_ERR_TIMEOUT, port 1, addr 1 (ignored)
ugen2.2: <Western Digital> at usbus2
And that was it. No umass0, no da0.

I tried plugging it into a USB2 port on the same machine and it worked just like normal, including the following message:

Code:
da0: <WD My Passport 0820 1007> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-6 device
It may not be obvious, but the 0820 is a model identifier, and 1007 identifies the firmware.

I tried updating my sources, rebuilt world and kernel, reinstalled and got the same results.

Today I went checking for new firmware for the My Passport Ultra and discovered that Western Digital has a firmware update for this drive, but of course you need to run it on a Windows system or a Mac. So I did, and now the drive says it is a:

Code:
da0: <WD My Passport 0820 1012> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-6 device
And it works just fine again on a USB3 port.

I hope that this will help somebody with a similar problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
This also worked for a WD My Passport 1TB USB3 hard drive I have that would mount fine but randomly disconnect during any disk I/O. It now seems to work flawlessly.

Before firmware upgrade:
Code:
da5: <WD My Passport 0748 1012> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-6 device
After firmware upgrade:
Code:
da5: <WD My Passport 0748 1025> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-6 device

Back