USB laser mouse only works if an older mouse is also connected

ajohnl

So I have a gaming mouse that won't work, however the side buttons (assigned to 1, 2 and 3, for gaming) work as they are set in the mouse's settings and don't depend on software.

The mouse is a Keep Out X6 gaming mouse, usbconfig -d ugen4.4 dump_device_desc gets me:

Code:
<USB Gaming Mouse Holtek> at usbus4, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON (100mA)

bLength = 0x0012
  bDescriptorType = 0x0001
  bcdUSB = 0x0200
  bDeviceClass = 0x0000  <Probed by interface class>
  bDeviceSubClass = 0x0000
  bDeviceProtocol = 0x0000
  bMaxPacketSize0 = 0x0008
  idVendor = 0x04d9
  idProduct = 0xa067
  bcdDevice = 0x0116
  iManufacturer = 0x0001  <Holtek>
  iProduct = 0x0002  <USB Gaming Mouse>
  iSerialNumber = 0x0000  <no string>
  bNumConfigurations = 0x0001
The interesting part is that it works when I boot while having a different mouse connected:
Code:
<USB Mouse vendor 0x1267> at usbus4, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=LOW (1.5Mbps) pwr=ON (48mA)

bLength = 0x0012
  bDescriptorType = 0x0001
  bcdUSB = 0x0100
  bDeviceClass = 0x0000  <Probed by interface class>
  bDeviceSubClass = 0x0000
  bDeviceProtocol = 0x0000
  bMaxPacketSize0 = 0x0008
  idVendor = 0x1267
  idProduct = 0x0201
  bcdDevice = 0x0230
  iManufacturer = 0x0000  <no string>
  iProduct = 0x0001  <USB Mouse>
  iSerialNumber = 0x0000  <no string>
  bNumConfigurations = 0x0001
The second mouse is an old Hama AM-2000 optical mouse that I tested as a replacement before I found out it made my main mouse work. Anyways, I suspect that the gaming mouse's additional buttons make it get detected as a keyboard, stopping moused from loading. Is there a way to force the loading of mouse drivers? Or perhaps a quirk to keep my mouse from getting detected as a keyboard?

/etc/rc.conf:
Code:
keymap="spanish.iso.kbd"
local_unbound_enable="YES"
sshd_enable="YES"
moused_enable="YES"
ntpd_enable="YES"
powerd_enable="YES"
# Set dumpdev to "AUTO" to enable crash dumps, "NO" to disable
dumpdev="AUTO"
wlans_ath0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA SYNCDHCP"

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

There's no need for moused_enable in rc.conf for USB mice. It's only needed for PS/2 mice. USB mice load it automatically through devd(8).

OP
OP
ajohnl

ajohnl

There's no need for moused_enable in rc.conf for USB mice. It's only needed for PS/2 mice. USB mice load it automatically through devd(8).

I'll try disabling it, but is there a similar setting to make sure usb mouse drivers are loaded even if there's no mouse attached?

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

The mouse "driver" (ums(4)) is part of the GENERIC kernel and is already loaded. moused(8) is loaded whenever a USB mouse is detected:

/etc/devd.conf:
Code:
notify 100 {
        match "system" "DEVFS";
        match "subsystem" "CDEV";
        match "type" "CREATE";
        match "cdev" "ums[0-9]+";

action "/etc/rc.d/moused quietstart $cdev";
};

OP
OP
ajohnl

ajohnl

The mouse "driver" (ums(4)) is part of the GENERIC kernel and is already loaded. moused(8) is loaded whenever a USB mouse is detected:

/etc/devd.conf:
Code:
notify 100 {
        match "system" "DEVFS";
        match "subsystem" "CDEV";
        match "type" "CREATE";
        match "cdev" "ums[0-9]+";

action "/etc/rc.d/moused quietstart $cdev";
};
Any known quirk that keeps the mouse from being detected as a keyboard on boot?

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Not from me, I never had to deal with mice like that.

protocelt

Daemon

A quick Google search shows the mouse not working under Linux correctly as well. The posts I skimmed were a few years old so not sure if that is still the case. As an alternative, you could try setting up the sysutils/uhidd port to work with it. You might have better results.

OP
OP
ajohnl

ajohnl

A quick Google search shows the mouse not working under Linux correctly as well. The posts I skimmed were a few years old so not sure if that is still the case. As an alternative, you could try setting up the sysutils/uhidd port to work with it. You might have better results.
I've been using the same mouse since I built my computer on Linux, and I'm currently using it with Funtoo (Gentoo with tweaks) and it works perfectly (although configuration must be done with a windows VM), any errors related to it are probably due to BIOS settings.

OP
OP
ajohnl

ajohnl

Is there a way to set up a virtual mouse that will trigger mouse drivers to load at boot?

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

The only mouse drivers are ums(4) and psm(4), both are loaded by default in the GENERIC kernel.

OP
OP
ajohnl

ajohnl

The only mouse drivers are ums(4) and psm(4), both are loaded by default in the GENERIC kernel.
I understand that they are loaded at boot, but they don't seem to activate unless they actually detect a mouse. For example, the mouse in terminal won't appear if there's no mouse. Is there a way to make a virtual mouse to make the drivers think there's a mouse connected? In GNU/Linux one can make fake displays for example. Another option is a quirk to make the mouse appear as a mouse and not a keyboard, I've tried
UQ_KBD_IGNORE with no success but maybe there are any other quirks to try?

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Ah, right. Now I understand what you meant. I'm not aware of anything like that (but that doesn't mean it's not there, I just don't know it).