USB keyboard: missed/extra keystrokes

aragats

Daemon

A month go I noticed missed characters when I type text/commands etc.
I decided to replace my cheap USB keyboard with something better.
I purchased a $50 "mechanical" keyboard, but nothing has changed – I still see missed characters. It looks like an anti-bouncing filter cuts certain keystrokes at some moments.

Would anybody advise what can cause that?
Thanks!

trev

Aspiring Daemon

Way back in May 2013 (judging by the file date on my USB_README file) I had similar issues. The solution was to kill the uhidd daemon. I should note that I haven't needed to do this for some years.

OP
OP
aragats

aragats

Daemon

I discovered that right after reboot my keyboard works great
After a while it starts failing. This time it types extra characters instead of missing like it was last time!
I never had such issues with FreeBSD 11.x. However, it looks to be a problem with this particular desktop PC with HP Z440 motherboard.
Any ideas?

OP
OP
aragats

aragats

Daemon

Try a different keyboard?
I already mentioned that I purchased this one namely because thought it's a keyboard issue.
Most likely it's a driver issue. Maybe I should rebuild the kernel to prove it by unloading/reloading the driver (which is built-in now).

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Did you perhaps change the keyrate? You may want to play around with those settings to see if that improves things. Also check the BIOS setting for key repeat settings.

Code:
     -r delay.repeat | speed
             Set keyboard delay (250, 500, 750, 1000) and repeat (34, 38, 42,
             46, 50, 55, 59, 63, 68, 76, 84, 92, 100, 110, 118, 126, 136, 152,
             168, 184, 200, 220, 236, 252, 272, 304, 336, 368, 400, 440, 472,
             504) rates, or if a speed argument is specified, it may be one of
             slow (1000.504), fast (250.34) or normal (500.126).
From kbdcontrol(1)

tingo

Daemon

I already mentioned that I purchased this one namely because thought it's a keyboard issue.
Most likely it's a driver issue. Maybe I should rebuild the kernel to prove it by unloading/reloading the driver (which is built-in now).
I missed that part, sorry.
Have you already tried different usb ports? Sometimes, it helps to change ports.

OP
OP
aragats

aragats

Daemon

Did you perhaps change the keyrate? You may want to play around with those settings to see if that improves things.
I tried playing with the keyrate, but it doesn't help.
Have you already tried different usb ports? Sometimes, it helps to change ports.
I have – using different USB controllers' ports, doesn't help much. It seems helping when I just switch to another port, but then continues the same way.
Only restarting the comuter help for certain amount of time.

tingo

Daemon

Does the machine have the latest BIOS upgrade? If not, try to upgrade.

RichardM

I think the HP Z440 has a PS/2 connector, so you could try using the little green USB to PS/2 adaptors that HP supply, at least you would then know whether it was the keyboard or the USB on the motherboard. I very occasionally (once a year) get a sudden keyboard failure on an HP workstation, only solution is to power down and remove the power cord for a few minutes - must be some strange electrical fault.

OP
OP
aragats

aragats

Daemon

Does the machine have the latest BIOS upgrade? If not, try to upgrade.
I'll try one day, that's my main workstation, I cannot shut it down frequently.
the HP Z440 has a PS/2 connector, so you could try using the little green USB to PS/2 adaptors
That's right, but unfortunately modern keyboards do not support PS/2 protocol anymore, those little adapters are passive. I tried unsuccesfully. Moreover, that keyboard won't even power up if only 5V provided on the USB connector (without data lines connected).

OP
OP
aragats

aragats

Daemon

I plugged in a PS/2 keyboard and see exactly the same behavior!
Haven't restarted the machine though.