Solved USB boot not loading on laptop with no OS (blackscreen)

Hey, so I wanted to try giving a Unix based system a try on an old HP Pavillion laptop that I had lying around. I wrote the ISO to a USB to boot it onto the laptop and it worked initially, and I was able to go through the standard install process but kept getting an issue that no root device was found despite me very definitely specifying a root slice during installation.

After getting frustrated with it for a while I decided to exit the installer and turn off the computer and give it a go the next day instead. Now though I have the issue of the computer not booting anything from the USB. Any attempts to go into the BIOS or change the boot device order don't do anything, just go to a black screen with a blinking cursor. I'm not exactly sure what information to provide since the laptop has literally nothing on (not even an OS).

In short, I guess, is what did I do wrong and is there anyway for me to get the laptop to read the USB again and complete the installation? And if I can get it to do that, then how can I get fix the issue with it not detecting a root device?

To enable people to help you, you must provide more details. This is an unusual problem. What is the exact model of Pavilion you have?
Also, did you install on a hard drive (or ssd) in the machine? Or did you (try to) install on the usb stick you booted from?

Back