urxvt: unknown capabilities.

rigoletto@

Developer
Hello,

While reinstalling x11/rxvt-unicode it return those errors? I tried with default options but got the same errors.

Anyone know anything about that?

Code:
"/usr/local/share/misc/rxvt-unicode.terminfo", line 57, col 20, terminal 'rxvt-unicode': unknown capability 'kDC5'
"/usr/local/share/misc/rxvt-unicode.terminfo", line 58, col 19, terminal 'rxvt-unicode': unknown capability 'kDC6'
"/usr/local/share/misc/rxvt-unicode.terminfo", line 59, col 17, terminal 'rxvt-unicode': unknown capability 'kDN'
"/usr/local/share/misc/rxvt-unicode.terminfo", line 60, col 18, terminal 'rxvt-unicode': unknown capability 'kDN5'
"/usr/local/share/misc/rxvt-unicode.terminfo", line 62, col 20, terminal 'rxvt-unicode': unknown capability 'kIC5'
"/usr/local/share/misc/rxvt-unicode.terminfo", line 63, col 19, terminal 'rxvt-unicode': unknown capability 'kIC6'
"/usr/local/share/misc/rxvt-unicode.terminfo", line 65, col 21, terminal 'rxvt-unicode': unknown capability 'kEND5'
"/usr/local/share/misc/rxvt-unicode.terminfo", line 66, col 20, terminal 'rxvt-unicode': unknown capability 'kEND6'
"/usr/local/share/misc/rxvt-unicode.terminfo", line 68, col 21, terminal 'rxvt-unicode': unknown capability 'kFND5'
"/usr/local/share/misc/rxvt-unicode.terminfo", line 69, col 20, terminal 'rxvt-unicode': unknown capability 'kFND6'
"/usr/local/share/misc/rxvt-unicode.terminfo", line 71, col 21, terminal 'rxvt-unicode': unknown capability 'kHOM5'
"/usr/local/share/misc/rxvt-unicode.terminfo", line 72, col 20, terminal 'rxvt-unicode': unknown capability 'kHOM6'
"/usr/local/share/misc/rxvt-unicode.terminfo", line 74, col 19, terminal 'rxvt-unicode': unknown capability 'kLFT5'
"/usr/local/share/misc/rxvt-unicode.terminfo", line 76, col 21, terminal 'rxvt-unicode': unknown capability 'kNXT5'
"/usr/local/share/misc/rxvt-unicode.terminfo", line 77, col 20, terminal 'rxvt-unicode': unknown capability 'kNXT6'
"/usr/local/share/misc/rxvt-unicode.terminfo", line 79, col 21, terminal 'rxvt-unicode': unknown capability 'kPRV5'
"/usr/local/share/misc/rxvt-unicode.terminfo", line 80, col 20, terminal 'rxvt-unicode': unknown capability 'kPRV6'
"/usr/local/share/misc/rxvt-unicode.terminfo", line 82, col 19, terminal 'rxvt-unicode': unknown capability 'kRIT5'
"/usr/local/share/misc/rxvt-unicode.terminfo", line 83, col 17, terminal 'rxvt-unicode': unknown capability 'kUP'
"/usr/local/share/misc/rxvt-unicode.terminfo", line 84, col 18, terminal 'rxvt-unicode': unknown capability 'kUP5'

Thank you.

Hello,
on GNU/Linux systems there is a package called rxvt-unicode-terminfo. In FreeBSD that package does not exist so it depends on ncurses to display terminals capabilities db.
The path to terminfo should be
Code:
TERMINFO=/usr/local/share/misc/terminfo.db
not like in your error "/usr/local/share/misc/rxvt-unicode.terminfo".

Here's my env:

Code:
TERM=rxvt-unicode-256color
COLORTERM=rxvt-xpm
COLORFGBG=default;default
WINDOWID=14680086
DISPLAY=:0
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/home/anbu/bin
USER=anbu
LESS_TERMCAP_me=
SHELL=/usr/local/bin/zsh
LESS_TERMCAP_ue=
SHLVL=2
LESS_TERMCAP_se=
HOME=/home/anbu
LOGNAME=anbu
LESS_TERMCAP_mb=
LS_OPTS=--color=auto
LESS_TERMCAP_so=
GREP_COLOR=1;36
LESS=-R
PWD=/home/anbu
_=/usr/bin/env
MM_CHARSET=UTF-8
DESKTOP_STARTUP_ID=i3/urxvt/1461-1-amy_bsd_TIME0
EDITOR=vim
WINDOWPATH=9
OLDPWD=/home/anbu
LESS_TERMCAP_us=
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
PAGER=less
BLOCKSIZE=K
LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
MAIL=/var/mail/anbu
LANGUAGE=en_US:en_US:en
LESS_TERMCAP_md=

PS: I've installed rxvt-unicode with pkg not from ports and all went well.

The file is in there:

Code:

I am placing it here for comparation:

Code:
TERM=rxvt-unicode-256color
COLORTERM=rxvt-xpm
COLORFGBG=default;default
WINDOWID=6291466
DISPLAY=unix:0.0
VENDOR=amd
LOGNAME=alex
TERMINAL=urxvtc
PAGER=more
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
OSTYPE=FreeBSD
MACHTYPE=x86_64
XDG_MENU_PREFIX=lxde-
XAUTHORITY=/home/alex/.Xauthority
CLICOLOR=1
MAIL=/var/mail/alex
GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/home/alex/.cache/keyring-TXBC3Y
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/home/alex/.local/bin
EDITOR=vim
HOST=workstation
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/ssh-fLYPhZxpCHkQ/agent.726
PWD=/home/alex
GROUP=video
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/tmp/dbus-HIAWKdenz4,guid=4682bd9c83e8d4f08d478ef45962ca0a
HOME=/home/alex
USER=alex
LC_COLLATE=C
LC_MONETARY=pt_BR.UTF-8
SHELL=/bin/csh
HOSTTYPE=FreeBSD
LOCALBIN=/home/alex/.local/bin
QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct
MM_CHARSET=UTF-8
SSH_AGENT_PID=749
BLOCKSIZE=M
SHLVL=1

Ok, little advance.

Removing devel/ncurses and reinstalling x11/rxvt-unicode give no error, but when devel/ncurses is installed again the error come back together.

Then, without devel/ncurses installed, there is only the rxvt-unicode.terminfo file at /usr/local/share/misc. However, when devel/ncurses come back to the game some more files appear: terminfo.db, terminfo.db.default. Also, a folder called tabset with those files inside: std, stdcrt, vt100, vt300.

Wherever ncurses is installed or not the env does not change (I rebooted to be sure): TERMINFO=/usr/local/share/misc/terminfo.db

It does appear x11/rxvt-unicode use the rxvt-unicode.terminfo when there is not the terminfo.db file.

So, I do not have idea on how to solve it. :D

Looking on devel/ncurses WEBSITE for its 'terminfo database' and it seem those 'unknown capabilities' are actually in there.

I do not know why they are not present when I install devel/ncurses in here. :confused:

EDIT: ok. The problem actually seem x11/rxvt-unicode does not support those capabilities, not the contrary. However x11/rxvt seem to support, at least most of them.

Now, I need to find out how to silent those errors.

I don't know if it helps but I try to build rxvt-unicode on Arch GNU/Linux without option " -disable-startup-notification"

0o8i0.png

and the result was:
0o8i1.png

anyway the intriguing part is that the rxvt-unicode-terminfo packages does not exist in FreeBSD so the answer is somewhere in /devel/ncurses.
08 Oct 2015 14:12:53 9.21_1

amdmi3
Add a way to cleanly handle terminfo.db file used by devel/ncurses

This database contains compiled terminfo entries and is merged from
a large part which comes with ncurses themselves and compiled
.terminfo files installed by other ports (currently only rxvt-unicode
and jfbterm)

- Now the database is always kept up to date, regardless of port
installation order (both ncurses installed before .terminfo files
and the other way around work as expected)
- All affected ports now support clean deinstallation and do not
produce stage-qa errors
- Affected ports are simplified, as they now only need to define
USES=terminfo
- rxvt-unicode no longer pulls in ncurses: the dependency is not
really needed for anything beside updating it's own database
- The patch contains Q/A test to check whether a port needs, or
needs not USES=terminfo

Hi Minbari

While FreeBSD does not have the "rxvt-unicode-terminfo" package, it is installed at /usr/local/share/misc/rxvt-unicode.terminfo by x11/rxvt-unicode itself.

In fact it works fine (no errors) until you have devel/ncurses installed from ports. devel/ncurses install the terminfo.db file what is in $TERMINFO by default.

What happens is the devel/ncurses terminfo.db brings many capabilities not supported by x11/rxvt-unicode (but seems to be by x11/rxvt for instance), and that is why I get those errors.

So, I understand those errors are harmless.

I have devel/ncurses installed from ports because it is an audio/ncmpcpp dependency. If devel/ncurses is removed the errors disappear.

The solution, I think, would be make x11/rxvt-unicode read /usr/share/misc/termcap.db first, and if it is not present read $TERMINFO instead, but I do not know how to do that, neither if it could bring more/others problems.

Thanks!

I have more serious problems with that: urxvt refuses to recognize terminus-font, which it used to work with all this while. And yes, I had the same error upon upgrade. It used to work fine, ncurses or not.

As a work-around for now here is a working version I always keep in my home directory, it's compiled with a few custom variants of Cyrillic characters though:
terminus-font.tar
It's supposed to go to /usr/local/share/fonts/terminus-font/.

Back