Closed Urgent. Problems entering BIOS to deinstall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've installed freeBSD 12 on a Lenovo Ideapad 110 successfully and installed KDE5 also, but KDE does not start.
I tried everything I could find to make it start, but without success.
I've installed Gnome 3, too, but instead of a nice desktop a crash occured.

Now I'm kinda tired of BSD 12 and I want to change back to Ubuntu.

To my surprise I can't enter BIOS to boot from disc! (it worked before)
No pressing of 'Esc', 'F1' or 'F2' could call BIOS.
I always get the BSD menu which doesn't seem to offer the option to boot from disc.
How can I manage to boot from disc?
Thank you!

Have any of you guys visited the link I posted?
Seems on this Notebook you cannot access the bootmenu by the usual keys (F2,F12,Del,Esc...).
You have to press a hidden pinhole-button while powering on. (How stupid!)
Bronic says the boot-menu worked before, but I think he just saw something like the GRUB menu, which is gone during FreeBSD install.

I've installed freeBSD 12 on a Lenovo Ideapad 110 successfully and installed KDE5 also, but KDE does not start.

Did you bother to read the FreeBSD Handbook? I see this is the only post you've made so you didn't even go as far as ask for help.

So you're going to give up on an Operating System because you couldn't get a Desktop Environment running... 🏆

To my surprise I can't enter BIOS to boot from disc! (it worked before)
No pressing of 'Esc', 'F1' or 'F2' could call BIOS.
I always get the BSD menu which doesn't seem to offer the option to boot from disc.
How can I manage to boot from disc?
Thank you!

1. With FreeBSD installations work a little bit differently.
To get the KDE working, you need several things. You need to install the proper graphics driver for your video card, you need to install xorg and the xorg driver for your video card also. With this done, you can go ahead and install your plasma.

To get the video drivers working, see what is the exact model of your video card and then look in the FreeBSD wiki for instructions how to get it working: https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics

What you need to do is described here: https://community.kde.org/FreeBSD/Setup/Ports and also here: https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11-wm.html#x11-wm-kde

2. I believe putting "Urgent" in the title is considered bad netiquette. You should edit the thread and remove "Urgent" from the title.

Don't bother replying anymore. The thread starter no more interested in this forum that he is about FreeBSD at all.

bronco
New Member · 49 · From Germany
Joined Wednesday at 11:38 AM
Last seen Wednesday at 1:38 PM

I'm going to close this thread. The OP has gone AWOL, he's made his choice and that's his prerogative. We should respect that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back