Unplug all network cables first
backup your data
reinstall the system, preferably on a new disk
using pf:
/etc/pf.conf containing:
block drop in all
pass out all keep state

enable pf in rc.conf

That ruleset blocks all inbound connections that originate from the outside, allows all connections originating from your machine out.

block drop in all
pass out all keep state
This should be:
Code:
block in all
pass out all keep state

That's the rule I start out with. I can go days after finishing a new build without any worry whatsoever.
The one that appears in my tutorial is the one I use once I get around to editing files:

Please help
Answer some of the questions we have so we can provide better help.

Please post the output from uname -a. I would also like to know how you found out that your system was crashed and rebooted by a hacker. Is it possible it just crashed due to other reasons? Why are you asking for urgent help now when you had the problem a year ago?

This may be a good opportunity for OP to re-install the system from scratch, and include first setting up the firewall, and then everything else. It's easier to fine-tune the firewall that way, because errors can be isolated to a specific rule or an application's .conf file. I generally preach the idea that first, you make an app behave via its own .conf file, and then let the firewall do the rest of the enforcement.

I have the lines below in my /etc/rc.conf:
Code:
firewall_enable="yes"
firewall_type="workstation"
The configuration is maintained by people who have more knowledge than I have.

I have the lines below in my /etc/rc.conf:
Code:
firewall_enable="yes"
firewall_type="workstation"
The configuration is maintained by people who have more knowledge than I have.
That default configuration gives you:
default deny in
default allow out from host

so connections originating from outside and trying to terminate at your workstation (someone trying to ssh/telnet to your workstation) are simply dropped and anything your workstation originates (say you doing DNS lookup to google.com) is allowed.
Reasonably secure posture, so yes, very good starting point.
But I refer back to posts #3 and #12.

This should be:
Code:
block in all
pass out all keep state

That's the rule I start out with. I can go days after finishing a new build without any worry whatsoever.
The one that appears in my tutorial is the one I use once I get around to editing files:

This should be:
Code:
block in all
pass out all keep state

Hi block in all
My system DHCP can't get ip?
please help

Hacker crash my system and reboot my system!!

You are an expert, can you let me see your settings?

Evil hackers, hacked my system. Can you all send me your ip addresses, username and passwords please, so i can check your settings and choose the best configuration

ohhhhhh if you are using ssl based authentication, please add my pub id to your systems so i don't have connection problems
ohhhhhh 2 - also add my ip to your firewall so i dont have connection problems

Back