Upgrading to FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE - resolving an issue with drm-fbsd12.0-kmod

obsigna

Aspiring Daemon

I just upgraded a desktop system from FreeBSD 12.0 to 12.1-RELEASE. Usually a minor upgrade does not require re-installation of 3rd-party software. This is an i7-7700 system and graphics/drm-kmod was installed and /boot/modules/i915kms.ko was activated. After said upgrade, the system did not boot anymore, but crashed when loading the i915kms.ko module.

In order to resolve the problem, I rebooted into single user mode, and reinstalled graphics/drm-kmod by building from the ports. After this the system booted fine and everything were back to normal. Reinstalling from packages did not work.

trev

Aspiring Daemon

It is worth keeping an eye on the -STABLE mailing list. This was discussed a few days ago.

OP
OP
obsigna

obsigna

Aspiring Daemon

Note, my message was not meant to be a moaning. I ran into a problem and I easily fixed it, and I thought it might be useful to others to tell how. Nonetheless, your comment's relevancy is of philosophic nature, of course, namely: "Afterwards, we are always brighter."

userxbw

that clued me in... after the cat got away from the barking dog .. but still... it clued me in...

mittnickmini

I have the same problem! I will try to rebuild drm-kmod from port.

Edit: Thank you very much obsigna! Recompile drm-kmod from ports works!

drozdowsky

Same problem. Reinstalling drm-kmod did not do a thing.
Currently using kernel.old before this gets fixed :< (someone compiles it for 12.1)

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

drozdowsky

Yes you are right..., I have done 'pkg clean -a && pkg upgrade -f' (I was googling for solutions and found that answer probably made by you :) )

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

The "problem" right now is that the standard package repositories are still being built based on 12.0. For 99% of the packages this is not a problem but kernel modules are always tricky. This will change when 12.0 is EoL, then the default package repositories will be switched to 12.1.

If you want to keep using packages you can, temporarily, switch to the release_1 repository. Those are specifically built for 12.1. If you want to take that route, create a /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf:
Code:
FreeBSD: {
  url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/release_1"
}
One thing to note though, release_1 is based on latest, there's no quarterly for it.

drozdowsky

Created that file, pkg update && pkg clean -a && pkg remove drm-kmod && pkg autoremove && pkg install drm-kmod
Same boot loop, is it possible that no one build it for 12.1? Curious question: why is this not a default? If package is built on my version fetch it otherwise go for x.0, asking for more knowledge :)

blackhaz

Try building it from port. That's what worked for me (still with bugs though, as it appears either the drm-kmod or intel video driver is broken.) I think the 12.1 release has broken drm-kmod package.

userxbw

Broken. How so? Not that I'd know how to fix it, Just curious. Because I just went to /usr/ports/graphics/drm-kmod sudo / or # make install clean then in the rc.conf added kld_list="/boot/modules/i915kms.ko" reboot, no problems.

This was/is a fresh install not upgrade. this is a Broadwell generation chip I have. Intel® HD Graphics 5500

Is not the fbsd12.0-kmod a general purpose, and why wouldn't one find out what chip/card they got and curtail installing a driver for that only? Its nice to have if one does not know, but install, find out then add the specific one ???

the graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod says,

amdgpu, i915, and radeon DRM modules for the linuxkpi-based KMS components. Currently corresponding to Linux 4.16 DRM. This version is for FreeBSD 12.0. amdgpu and radeonkms are known to fail with EFI boot.

hpc

I can confirm that there is a regression somewhere I've upgraded a laptop (from 12.0 to 12.1) which had the drm-fbsd problem. I've tried every proposition from this thread:
  • building from ports (with an uptodate port tree)
  • install from release_1 repository (pkg update && pkg clean -a && pkg remove drm-kmod && pkg autoremove && pkg install drm-kmod
None works. As soon as the module load, the system reboot.

My workaround is to use xf86-video-scfb instead.

I can live with that, except for the hdmi output which is no more recognized.

For the record (extracted from lspci -lv)
vgapci0@pci0:0:2:0: class=0x030000 card=0x51081558 chip=0x22b18086 rev=0x21 hdr=0x00
vendor = 'Intel Corporation'
device = 'Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Integrated Graphics Controller'
class = display
subclass = VGA

blackhaz

userxbw, after upgrading to FreeBSD 12.1 I am experiencing occasional atomic update failure messages in the log, as well as unusually high CPU load - even when I am simply moving the mouse pointer around the screen. Sometimes the scrolling doesn't work in some applications and requires a reboot to fix - occurs sporadically. I've tried building drm-kmod and xf86-video-intel from ports, different X settings - with no luck. There were no issues like these on FreeBSD 11.2, so it must be something either with drm-kmod or xf86-video-intel. I have Thinkpad X1 Yoga 1st Gen - Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 (Skylake GT2).

I keep finding threads online (Linux-related as well) with people complaining about similar issues, but no answers so far, e.g.:

SOLUTION: Just figured a solution. It turns out that I have had an old /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/xorg.conf which used xf86-video-intel driver. Apparently, this configuration was running fine on 11.2 but I guess caused some kind of a "race condition" with drm-kmod under 12.1. I have removed xorg.conf from the system. Next, I did pkg remove xf86-video-intel, so only drm-kmod will handle the graphics. So far so good: CPU usage is normal, all Chromium rendering artefacts are gone, acceleration seems to work.