Solved Upgrading python from 3.7 to 3.8 from ports using portmaster

I build everything from ports using portmaster and i would like to upgrade from python3.7 to python3.8. Some of my systems have 40-50 packages of py37 or non-python packages that depend on them. Is there an easy way of doing this upgrade?

The update procedure is described in /usr/ports/UPDATING:
Code:
20210425:
  AFFECTS: users of python
  AUTHOR: kai@FreeBSD.org

The default version of python3 and python was switched to 3.8.

For ports users wanting to keep version 3.7 as default,
  add DEFAULT_VERSIONS+= python=3.7 python3=3.7 to make.conf

Following procedures may ease the upgrade:

For users of pre-build packages:
  # sh
  # for i in $(pkg query -g %n 'py37-*'); do pkg set -yn ${i}:py38-${i#py37-}; done
  # pkg upgrade

For portmaster users:
  # sh
  # portmaster -o lang/python38 python37
  # REINSTALL="$(pkg info -o py37-\* | awk '{printf "%s ", $2}')"
  # pkg delete -f py37-\*
  # portmaster $REINSTALL
  # REBUILD=$(pkg query -g "%n:%dn" '*' | grep py3 | grep -v py38 | cut -d : -f 1 | sort -u)
  # portmaster $REBUILD
  # REBUILD2=$(pkg list | grep python-37 | xargs pkg which | awk '{print $6}' | sort -u)
  # portmaster $REBUILD2
I still had to rebuild some ports (samba412, llvm10) after that as pkg check -d was still complaining about missing python shared libs, but now it's done and all seems fine.

The best part of this is that 3.8 reports vulnerabilities and thus won't install easily.

Use # portmaster -m DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES=yes -o lang/python38 python37

Didn't know about that portmaster flag, the option I usually go for is this in /etc/make.conf
Code:
DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES=yes
The portmaster line is neater in that you don't have to remember to comment out the change in /etc/make.conf.

I build everything from ports using portmaster and i would like to upgrade from python3.7 to python3.8.
Why? What's broke with what you've got running now that you find the need to upgrade?

If it's running I usually leave things as they be unless there is a vulnerability.

Or fixing one thing breaks another. Which is primarily why I don't fix it till it's broke. That others do the same advise often offered.

python38-3.8.9 is broke and I'm waiting to fix it:
Code:
root@bakemono:/ # pkg audit -F
Fetching vuln.xml.bz2: 100%  927 KiB 949.2kB/s    00:01    
python38-3.8.9 is vulnerable:
  Python -- multiple vulnerabilities
  WWW: https://vuxml.FreeBSD.org/freebsd/bffa40db-ad50-11eb-86b8-080027846a02.html

1 problem(s) in 1 installed package(s) found.
root@bakemono:/ #

Back