Upgrading from 13.3 to 14.0 x64 over wifi utterly failed

It did.
Just used the standard "freebsd-update" steps to upgrade release. Which half worked. After reboot fought with wifi to reconnect and "pkg upgrade -f". Reboot ,blah blah blah.

Pretty much utterly unuseable, after the first freebsd-update install/upgrade step, system boots right into some "root@" prompt. Clearly single user, after mucking around remounting in "rw" - cant get updates or stuff to run, missing libraries this and that.

Gonna have to reimage from scratch. Suggestions on some other "bsd" to use??

Thanks for ideas!

Sounds like you missed out the second step to upgrade userland and so your libraries are out of sync.

But also sounds like you want to move on - all BSDs have their quirks and all operating systems have upgrades that can go wrong so don’t think you will find OS utopia.

Thanks for the feedback All!!
By "Half worked" the freebsd-update ran, but the pkg update/upgrade did not. Wen i was getting libssl.so.30 not found erors left and right at the end (trying pkg update -f to fix). i just have up. A "find" of the whole OS (/) -it wasn't there.

richardtoohey2 Understood.
Alucn I will retry that command

I personally like freebsd, so I don't really want to abandon it.

getting libssl.so.30
FreeBSD 13.x used OpenSSL 1.1, FreeBSD 14.x uses OpenSSL 3.0.

So these errors definitely point to either missing the second freebsd-update install (first install upgrades the kernel, second the userland) or packages.

But if you are saying / is empty then that is something else completely.

If Wifi wasn’t working after the upgrade then it would be difficult to upgrade packages but it’s not at all clear what you did, what actually happened or where you are now.

Back