Upgrading from 11.1 to 11.2 kernel question

Hello All,
I was curious as to what happens to the kernel after I upgrade my system. Should I upgrade my system via freebsd-update upgrade first before I compile my kernel? Doesn't the upgrade do away with the old version(s)? TIA --kwa71

I was curious as to what happens to the kernel after I upgrade my system.
Your 11.1-RELEASE-pX kernel will be replaced with a 11.2-RELEASE kernel.

Should I upgrade my system via freebsd-update upgrade first before I compile my kernel?
Yes. This also begs the question, for what reason are you building your own kernel? Isn't GENERIC working for you? What's missing?

Yes SirDice my GENERIC kernel is working fine but don't I have to recompile because of my sound? I'm still building my 11.1 release from source so I haven't tested anything yet. TIA --kwa71

my GENERIC kernel is working fine but don't I have to recompile because of my sound?
There are a number of soundcards already builtin and all the others can easily be loaded as a module. So unless there's a specific reason I would suggest just sticking to the standard GENERIC kernel.

Also interesting to know; freebsd-update will make a backup of your kernel by default, unless you reconfigured it (see /etc/freebsd-update.conf, the BackupKernel option) so you should be safe either way.

Back