Upgrading broken 11.2 to 12.1

Paul Floyd

I'm about to attempt to upgrade a dead 11.2 install (the upgrade 11.1 to 11.2 made it unbootable).

What are my best options for doing this? I've burned a 12.1 DVD, and backed up my home directory. I don't think that I backed up files like rc.conf. I'll probably try
1. make copies of rc.conf and loader.conf
2. reinstall from DVD

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

I'm about to attempt to upgrade a dead 11.2 install (the upgrade 11.1 to 11.2 made it unbootable).
I would try to fix this first, do you have an idea why it's not booting any more?

OP
P

Paul Floyd

I would try to fix this first, do you have an idea why it's not booting any more?
I've tried many times (and posted a few threads here). The bootloader broke is about all that I can tell.

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Is there anything important on there? Make sure you have backups of the data at least. You will also want to backup rc.conf and the entire /usr/local/etc/ directory. The loader.conf isn't that important but it won't hurt to back it up too.

Then I would probably just do a clean install of the new version. Trying to upgrade an already broken system will likely just result in even more breakage.

OP
P

Paul Floyd

I just reinstalled from DVD. On rebooting I got a load of gptzfsboot errors (and some geometry errors that I didn't note). However I did get as far as booting.

After a few reboots to get KDE5 up and running it now hangs on boot.

ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable
ZFS: can't read MOS of pool zroot
gptzfsboot: failed to mount default zpool zroot

FreeBSD/x86 boot
(register dump)

BTX halted

This is on a pair of disks that are perhaps 2 years old but which have seen very little service. They pass the manufacturers Windows test.

It looks to me like ZFS boot on a mirrored system is still totally screwed.

OP
P

Paul Floyd

Conceivably there could be a problem with the disks rather than a problem with FreeBSD.

This isn't a hardware raid. It's ZFS with 2 disks mirrored.