Solved Upgraded FreeBSD 12.1 to 13.0-RELEASE (Ezjail, How?)

Ezjail is running smoothly on the host. A running jail I test ran an update attempt and I am receiving Read-only file system error.

Ezjail Jail (Shows 12.1):

1_2021-11-26 17-53-05.png

Read-only file system error when issuing:

Code:
freebsd-update fetch install

With this screen:

2_2021-11-26 17-56-08.png

If anyone has any idea of how to remedy this; please let me know! Thank you!

Best Regards,

~ Brandon

Maybe,
Code:
ezjail-admin update -u
Alain De Vos,

Thank you for this. What does the -u switch do?

I consulted with the manpage here:

And found:

Code:
ezjail-admin update
       creates    or updates ezjail's environment    (aka basejail) from source. To
       install it from ftp servers, use    ezjail-admin install.

Depending on the    parameters given, it will install the basejail from  a
       source tree whose location is either provided in    the ezjail.conf    config
       file or via the -s option.

If the -p or -P option is given,    the base jail also is given a copy  of
       FreeBSDs    ports tree, which is in    turn linked into all newly created ez-
       jails. The portsnap utility is invoked to do the    actual work.

If the -P option    is given, only the ports tree will be updated, so this
       can be done while jails are running.

If  the -i (install only) option    is given, ezjail-admin update performs
       a make installworld, otherwise make world is invoked.

NOTES
       ezjail-admin update uses    a temporary directory to install its world to,
       thus leaving intact all installed libraries, if a base jail already ex-
       ists.

When using the ezjail-admin update option, be careful to    use  the  same
       FreeBSD    source tree used to build the host system's world, or at least
       its kernel. Combining a make world in the host system with ezjail-admin
       update is considered a good idea.

When a ports tree exists    in basejail, a make.conf containing reasonable
       values for having ports in jails    is created in the template jail.

I don't see a -u switch/flag.

Should I be doing a full buildworld since my Host is now 13.0-RELEASE from 12.1? The manpage on ezjail-admin update suggests "Combining a make world in the host system with ezjail-admin update is considered a good idea".

I am not 100% sure what the manpage is implying with "make world" with "ezjail-admin update" ... Perhaps I do the normal, as it says here: "Updating FreeBSD from Source"

Code:
# git pull /usr/src  
check /usr/src/UPDATING  
# cd /usr/src          
# make -j4 buildworld  
# make -j4 kernel      
# shutdown -r now      
# etcupdate -p         
# cd /usr/src          
# make installworld    
# etcupdate -B         
# shutdown -r now

Thank you and everyone else!

-u : I think the command will call freebsd-update(8) to update the basejail.
There is note in the manpage:
Note that as
freebsd-update(8) uses “uname -r” to determine the currently
running system, the base jail and the host need to be updated at
the same time, without rebooting on the new kernel in the
meantime.

-u : I think the command will call freebsd-update(8) to update the basejail.
There is note in the manpage:
Note that as
freebsd-update(8) uses “uname -r” to determine the currently
running system, the base jail and the host need to be updated at
the same time, without rebooting on the new kernel in the
meantime.
Alain De Vos,

Do you use Ezjail-Admin ? I am not certain that command won't hurt my current install and config.

I wish the manpage had that -u switch.

Thanks!

My usual advice - set up a test machine with similar set-up to the machine you are working on (and worried about harming) and experiment with upgrades on it.

Doesn't have to be anything flash - Virtual Box on a laptop - just something that means all you lose is some time if things go wrong. Rebuild the VM and try a different approach.

Document and backup your main system. Test your backups.

So here set up a 12.X VM on Virtual Box, make a jail or two, install a few sample packages like nano, try the upgrade process. It doesn't HAVE to be a complete mirror of your main set-up - just close enough in terms of OS version, jails, some ports/packages.

My usual advice - set up a test machine with similar set-up to the machine you are working on (and worried about harming) and experiment with upgrades on it.

Doesn't have to be anything flash - Virtual Box on a laptop - just something that means all you lose is some time if things go wrong. Rebuild the VM and try a different approach.

Document and backup your main system. Test your backups.

So here set up a 12.X VM on Virtual Box, make a jail or two, install a few sample packages like nano, try the upgrade process. It doesn't HAVE to be a complete mirror of your main set-up - just close enough in terms of OS version, jails, some ports/packages.
richardtoohey2,

Excellent suggestion! Thank you, Sir!

Best Regards,

`~ Brandon

I wish the manpage had that -u switch.
Mine does have and it's dated 2013 on 13.0-RELEASE with ezjail 3.4.2_1. I recommend the installed manpage that comes with ezjail-admin.
Try man ezjail-admin, my standard installation shows a : colon on the last line. Type h to see available commands, there is a search function. It's the slash to start a search /pattern searches for "pattern" and /-u would search for all -u in the manpage. You can jump to the next search hit with n.
Because -u is part of freebsd-update i use spaces around the -u switch like "/ -u " (" is to show the spaces correct, do not enter as cmd) and only stand alone -u will be found.

This is my preferred command switch reference procedure in the *nix world. For concept docs and how the gears are working together i prefer other docs somewhere out "there".

Back