Solved Upgrade to freebsd 12 / Cannot identify running kernel

Hello ,

I followed this tutorial https://www.cyberciti.biz/open-source/freebsd-12-released-here-is-how-to-upgrade-freebsd/

Everything runs fine , except the last step . I am now on freebsd 12 , but for a reason I don't know, I should do

a /usr/sbin/freebsd-update install again ?

But this results in the following error

Cannot identify running kernel

The system varibale kern.boofile points to /boot/kernel/kernel . But my kernel is in bootpool/boot/kernel . Should I overwrite the system variable or should I symlink the kernel to /boot/kernel/kernel ?

best regards, sebastian

Hi Mate

i did an upgrade from 11.2 to 12 and had the same issue of having bootpool/boot/kernel

freebsd 12 only has zroot and doesnt have a bootpool zfs dataset anymore

it seems like the old bootpool zfs dataset is still hanging around after the upgrade for some reason,
and confusing freebsd as to where the kernel actually is

i decided to do a clean install

on freebsd 12 the kernel location is /boot/kernel

you could try copying the kernel from /bootpool/boot/kernel to /boot/kernel
and then umounting the /bootpool zfs dataset and set it not to automatically mount at boot

and then doing a reboot and it should pick up the kernel in /boot/kernel
and if you set the /bootpool dataset not to automount at boot it shouldnt see the kernel in /bootpool/boot/kernel
and confuse freebsd

if that works you could then delete the /bootpool zfs dataset

you dont need the /bootpool dataset in freebsd 12 as there is now only the zroot dataset
and not a bootpool dataset as well

i would have thought thats a cleaner way of doing things than keeping the bootpool which isnt needed and using symnlinks

but maybe someone else on the forum has another way of fixing the issue
i just decided to do a clean install and wiped the drive and then restored from a backup to be on the safe side

Yes , I think you nailed it, but I have no idea how to fix this... . I will try to find a workaround or if I can't find any solution ,I have to do a rollback...

Thank You !

Morris Thank you . I did a roll back and checked if the symlink is there . And indeed the symlink will removed while installing the update .

For me it is a bug and should be fix immediately !

Back