Solved Upgrade to FreeBSD 12.2 from 12.1 seems to hang

I am trying, belatedly, to upgrade FreeBSD 12.1 to 12.2 using freebsd-update(8).

It has been stuck here for 30 minutes. Am I just not patient enough?

Code:
/usr/share/man/man3/getauclassnam_3.3.gz
/usr/share/man/man3/getauusernam_R.3.gz
/usr/share/man/man3/pcap_set_immediate_mode.3.gz
/usr/share/man/man3/pcap_set_protocol.3.gz
/usr/share/man/man9/devstat_add_entry.9.gz
/usr/share/man/man9/taskqueue_start_threads_pinned.9.gz
/var/db/etcupdate/current/etc/rc.d/abi

At what stage are you stuck? During the first freebsd-update -r 12.2-RELEASE upgrade or the later freebsd-update install stages?

Try clearing the cache; rm -rf /var/db/freebsd-update/* (make sure to not delete the directory itself). Then try freebsd-update -r 12.2-RELEASE upgrade again. Also check that you don't have an IPS or proxy that's causing the download issues.

Would I be better off upgrading to 13 which is on my agenda??
That's your choice. FreeBSD 12.x is supported until June 2024 so there's no problem sticking with 12 (you must use the latest minor version though).

just can't seem to get it to install. I have no proxy. Only possible issue could be IPFW. I don't see how. Maybe stop it and try the upgrade

As long as you only run the freebsd-update -r ... upgrade nothing actually changes on your system. So you can just try it to see if it does download for you. Just wipe the /var/db/freebsd-update/ directory if you try different versions so there's no cross-contamination between versions.

Ok I verified that the download occurs but command still hangs as stated

the /var/db/freebsd-update/ . contains the following

drwx------ 3 root wheel 512 Jun 4 13:07 .
drwxr-xr-x 24 root wheel 1024 May 29 03:57 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 2763509 Jun 4 13:07 INDEX-NEW
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 2677333 Jun 4 12:48 INDEX-PRESENT
drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 1853952 Jun 4 13:07 files
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 36975 Jun 4 13:07 files.added
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 8326 Jun 4 13:07 files.removed
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 742708 Jun 4 13:07 files.updated
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 800 Jan 28 12:18 pub.ssl
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 50 Jun 4 12:47 serverlist
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 50 Jun 4 12:47 serverlist_full
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 25 Jun 4 12:47 serverlist_tried
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 150 Jun 4 12:47 tINDEX.present
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 112 Jun 4 12:47 tag
I run freebsd-update install
I get

src component not installed, skipped
No updates are available to install.
Run '/usr/sbin/freebsd-update fetch' first.

I assume this is telling me that update did not succeed in downloading all the files

I confirmed I an running
12.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE r354233 GENERIC amd64

From what I have researched. this errors occurs when you try to run freebsd-update. on other then the RELEASE. version

Did you get stuck at the same point when you tried 13.0-RELEASE? You said you wanted to try it but it's not clear if you did or not. If both upgrades get stuck at the same point I'm more leaning towards a local problem on your system than anything wrong with your internet connection or freebsd-update(8).

No I didn't. Guess I should.... from what I was reading my 12.1 RELEASE might not be complete and was trying to correct Let me give 13.0 RELEASE a shot

Yeah, just give it a shot, as I said freebsd-update -r <version> upgrade doesn't change anything on your machine yet. So you can try this as much as you want.

I you are not afraid of compiling once i can guide you

Code:
cd /usr/src/
rm -vfR * .??*
git clone -o freebsd -b releng/13.0  https://git.FreeBSD.org/src.git    /usr/src
make buildworld

Wait an hour of 8.
If all went well,

Code:
make buildkernel

Wait 15 minutes
If all went well,

Code:
make installkernel
make installworld

Code:
etcupdate
Done. SirDice can tell if i forgot something.

Got stuck at the same place with 13.0
Hmm... I'm wondering if it's actually stuck or just at the inventory stage, which can take a really long time and it doesn't appear to be doing anything. If you watch your HD led however you'll see lots of activity. When it's "stuck" press CTRL-T, does it show what it's doing?

Another reason why it might get stuck is when you have a corrupted filesystem, is this a UFS or ZFS system? If it's UFS boot to single user mode and run fsck(8), lets make sure the filesystem is nice and clean.

Back