upgrade to 8.1-pre and kde issues

I previously had kde installed under 8.0-release via package install. Today I did a cvsup and upgraded to 8.1-prerease. kde3 no longer launches. I originally thought it was xorg that was causing the problems but I reran the Xorg -config xorg.conf.new -retro and everything looked fine. Other than it did not create a new xorg.conf.new like I thought it would.

So, that is question one. When I reran the config for xorg.conf.new, why wasn't it created? I have/had renamed it to something completely different.

Because I felt that xorg_7.4_2 was not the issue, I then su'd from root to a user account where I was previously using kde3. I manually ran "exec steartkde". This issued a message that $DISPLAY was not defined. Hmmm, is this due to not all daemons may have started required by kde at boot? Should have done a ps -x. Sorry

Ok, I am not sure where to go from here. What I am doing right now is going through portupgrade for all xorg ports. I then will move on to upgrading all the kde ports. Was going to do this anyway. But, I was hoping to have a working 8.1 first.

Additional information on the 8.0 to 8.1 upgrade.
There were a number of modules that were not present when I ran the mergemaster in the rc.d. I had all missing scripts added. Also, all config files(except rc.conf) and script files that were different from 8.0 to 8.1, I allowed to be updated. Most that I seen that were different delt with mail and bind I believe. I was watching, and do not remember seeing anything that I recognized(which does not mean anything) which I thought dealt with kde3 or xorg.

So, my questions are.
1). Why wasn't a new xorg.conf built when I ran the Xorg -config xorg.conf.new -retro.
2). kde3 seems to be having issues due to the $DISPLAY not being defined. Why wouldn't it be? The x11 config file has this defined? And appeared for all purposes to be correct from what I could tell.

Completely separate question concerning portupgrade.
When a dependent port fails during a portupgrade, is there any flag I can set to cause this to instantly stop running? I know there is a summary at the end which will let me know what installed and didn't. But I would like to deal with these issues right away when the failure occurs.

Thank you in advance.

Check /root/xorg.conf.new and if it's fine copy it as etc/X11/xorg.conf
KDE3 was simply the best when I installed it last time. Probably again Xorg issue: finish configuring Xorg.
I believe it's fine how portupgrade works but if you want to stop it right away (why?) just press Ctrl-C :)

well, I restored and am posting this reply from my old desktop

Thank you killasmurf86's for the backup and restore howto.

I jumped the gun on all the updates I was running, I should have spent more time investigating. Seriously, I should have.

Im going to rebuild the world, back it up this time after that. No matter how kde works. And work on figuring out exactly why I was unable to launch kde. I really think I let a config file get updated (ttys is my guess) which caused something to not be launched.

Thanks everyone, I'm going to just mark this as solved and file it under. "dumb as dirt"

Wanted to post a final to this thread.
1). I apologize for posting this to the wrong forum, I thought because it was due to the 8.1 upgrade that it should be posted here.
2). It was a problem with a config file being overwritten with mergemaster. /etc/ttys and the entry for kde manager. Again, dumb as dirt. I actually noticed a coupe other configs being overwritten that I had changes to.

Sorry for the wasted post.

Back