Solved Upgrade from 9.3 to 11.2

Hello all,

I'm in charge of a dedicated server (no physical access to it) and an upgrade from FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p49 to 11.2 is needed for security reasons. As far as I understand we can't make the big leap but instead upgrade through the previous major release although AFAIK no such statement is in the handbook.

How can I check if this hardware is friendly with 11.2 and in your opinion what would be the best way to achieve a smooth upgrade?

As far as I understand we can't make the big leap but instead upgrade through the previous major release although AFAIK no such statement is in the handbook.
It not mentioned in the handbook because it's not needed. You can make the jump in one go.

There's only one caveat though. There was a bug in freebsd-update(8) that prevented any version to upgrade to 11.x: https://www.freebsd.org/security/advisories/FreeBSD-EN-16:09.freebsd-update.asc
As long as you have 9.3-RELEASE-p45 or later you should be able to upgrade to 11.x in one big jump.

Hello all,

I'm in charge of a dedicated server (no physical access to it) and an upgrade from FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p49 to 11.2 is needed for security reasons. As far as I understand we can't make the big leap but instead upgrade through the previous major release although AFAIK no such statement is in the handbook.

How can I check if this hardware is friendly with 11.2 and in your opinion what would be the best way to achieve a smooth upgrade?

Hello Machiaveli, i´m into a similar situation with the same OS version as you, did you upgrade the server? any advice or warning? thanks in advance

Update done. I couldn't make the big leap to 11.2 from 9.3-RELEASE-p45 so I've upgraded first to latest 10.4-RELEASE and done the upgrade with freebsd-update() to 11.2-RELEASE-p5 with no problems at all.

Things went hard when upgrading pkgs due to perl5 (version 5.24) and a few others pkgs but its been solved with pkg check -s -a before running pkg-static upgrade -f

After that portsnap() to fetch and upgrade /usr/ports and voilà!
I take advantage of that post to thanks all of FreeBSD's contributors for offering us such a robust system we're using for more than a decade now. Cheers! :beer:

Back