upgrade a custom kernel ?

Yes, just make sure you buildkernel and installkernel both with KERNCONF=MYKERNEL

Whenever I make/upgrade a custom kernel configuration, I copy the kernel configuration and GENERIC kernel configuration to a seperate directory (i.e. /root/KERNEL/), this way you can diff the GENERIC config file and see any changes/additions.

I also add KERNCONF=MYKERNEL to /etc/make.conf. That way it'll always build/install that kernel config.

I was just wondering if regular hobbyists are allowed to use csup to upgrade to RELENG_7 via the stable-supfile, in the sense that we are stealing bandwidth?

Knock yourself out, it's why it's there.
I'd change the server to something more local to you, though - pick one from here.

Of course a local server, but from what I understand, in Michael Lucas Absolute freebsd 2ed p387, he mentions that it is rude to the mirror maintainers to download the sources, you should preferably use cd's.

downloading sources is perfectly fine, do not worry about it.

kasse said:
Of course a local server, but from what I understand, in Michael Lucas Absolute freebsd 2ed p387, he mentions that it is rude to the mirror maintainers to download the sources, you should preferably use cd's.

I normally install the source from the cd and then use csup to update it to the latest version. It's not only polite ;) but you save on time and bandwidth.

hi smooth

it's so simple to have your own custome kernel by any upgrade, after update your source by csup or cvsup compile source and kernel step by step alike below:

# cd /usr/src
# make buildworld
# make buildkernel KERNCONF="your custom kernel name"
# make installkernel KERNCONF="your custom kernel name"
# nextboot -o "-s" -k kernel
# reboot

# fsck -p
# mount -a

# cd /usr/src
# mergemaster -p
# make installworld
# mergemaster –Ui