updating whereis results

Hello, I recently just installed openoffice.org via a precompiled package on line. I installed it by dumping the scripts into /usr/local/bin and it works fine when running it from the command line. My question is how to get it to be added to the whereis results, if possible. I tried to find on line how the whereis program works and what files/databases it uses but I was unable to find anything regarding it. Obviously I know where the program resides, I am asking this question just to get a better understanding of the FreeBSD internals and how the system works. Thanks a lot!

sorry i diid not read carefully what you wrote, but i think that you did not also read the man page of 'whereis" [i just took a fast look now]

At least in the context of multiuser systems

phoenix said:
Alternatively, you can run the periodic(8) script that gets run every week, so that it updates things in the same manner: /etc/periodic/weekly/310.locate That just runs locate.updatedb in the background.
It also builds the database as "nobody", which might be slightly more secure than just running locate.updatedb as root.

Ok thanks for all of your input. Now I have another question, whereis will only return the location if i specify the entire name of the program (including version number) e.g whereis openoffice.org-3.0.0 Is there any way that I can make whereis return the location by just simply typing whereis openoffice.org. I only care about this in case in the future I update it or have a similar issue with another package

Use locate. It queries the same database as whereis, but it does a wildcard search (locate <query> will return all paths with <query> in them). Then pipe it through grep to narrow it down. locate openoffice | grep bin

Back