Updating Passenger

Hi folks. I'd like to update Passenger, but it's tripping over another port that apparently isn't needed anymore.

The port is rubygem-passenger upon nginx, installed separately. But then this happens:

Code:
===>  Installing for automake-1.16.1
===>  Checking if automake already installed
===>   An older version of automake is already installed (automake-1.15.1)
      You may wish to ``make deinstall'' and install this port again
      by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly.
      If you really wish to overwrite the old port of automake
      without deleting it first, set the variable "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
      in your environment or the "make install" command line.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[4]: stopped in /usr/ports/devel/automake
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[3]: stopped in /usr/ports/lang/ruby24
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[2]: stopped in /usr/ports/lang/ruby24
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /usr/ports/www/rubygem-passenger
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/www/rubygem-passenger

Upon looking into reinstalling automake, the ports info says that it's no longer needed for anything...all the latest versions.

Confusing.

Any advice? Cheers

Didn't work under su.

Code:
[Mon Aug 20 02:01:42 root@neb /usr/ports/devel/automake] make deinstall install clean
===>  Deinstalling for automake
===>   automake not installed, skipping
===>  Installing for automake-1.16.1
===>  Checking if automake already installed
===>   Registering installation for automake-1.16.1
Installing automake-1.16.1...
pkg-static: automake-1.16.1 conflicts with automake-wrapper-20131203 (installs files into the same place).  Problematic file: /usr/local/bin/aclocal
*** Error code 70

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/devel/automake

Sounds like a problem with the port. Should I contact the port/package manager?

Skip my previous comment, I really need to be a bit more patient and actually read the error messages (so do you by the way ;) ).

Your problem is that you apparently have automake-wrapper installed which is a port that dates back to earlier this year. This is from /usr/ports/MOVED:

devel/automake-wrapper|devel/automake|2018-06-14|No longer needed
Either way: remove automake-wrapper, then install devel/automake and you should be home free. Something like # pkg remove -x automake-wrap.

(edit: removed wrong assumptions).

Oh I read it. Over and over. I thought that's what a package manager does, seeing these items and managing packages to bring ports up to date. That's why I was confused.

Thank you.

Continuing on with this thread...still trying to get this up to date. So here's a summary:

- The new rubygem-passenger FLAVOR=nginx port was installed.
- That installation resulted in its own ruby25 installation. When nginx fires up it uses that ruby version instead of my rbenv 2.5.1.
- The nobody user is the user for nginx so far.

My current issue is that the ruby25 used by nobody has no gems in it. How can I have that user install gems, seeing that there is no account for me to get into. I am missing something. I operate on my workstation as my own administrator, using rbenv, which works seamless. Can anybody shed some light on how I can have this separate ruby manage its gems? I'm confused how to manage outside of rbenv. Cheers

Even the Passenger pages say I can choose which ruby and associated gems. It says:

I have multiple Ruby versions or gemsets. Does it matter which one I use to install Passenger with?
Not really. Passenger doesn't care which Ruby you used to install it; it can still serve Ruby apps with any Ruby version, as long as you tell Passenger which Ruby interpreter you want to use.
You tell Passenger which Ruby interpreter to use for a specific app, by using the passenger_rubydirective. This can be customized on a per-application basis.

Back