Updating On an RPI 3

Hi everyone!

I know that the Raspberry Pi is not a tier 1 system, so I have been struggling with ways to update my kernel without having to do it on the Pi itself, for I fear that would take way too long than I have patience for.

I am about to move on to trying out Crochet, but I would like to know where I am going wrong with what I tried. Unfortunately I do not have any build output to troubleshoot.

Basically I am cross compiling inside an amd64 virtual machine. After the object files are created, I am SCPing the object files over to where they should reside on my Pi. I made sure that /usr/src are identical. Then, with all this done, I should theoretically be able to do a make installkernel right? This procedure did fail for me the first time I tried it, but I am willing to try it again if this sounds like a solid procedure. The second to last thing I'd like to try is using distcc for cross compiling, but this seems rather difficult.

I am researching Crochet right now and I guess as long as I can have the tool install packages, which it looks like it can, and transfer over configuration files, this may be the route I am going to take.

Thanks!

Sorry I thought that was a typo.
This thread was my crosscompile on amd64 for the BBB.
You should be able to run make buildworld and make buildkernel on amd64 and then copy over to Arm then run make installworld and make installkernel. For updating you need to run mergemaster some point in this process.
I beleive in-between make installworld and make installkernel.
Also section 23.5.6.2 from the above -You also have to delete the old libraries on updates.

So I am trying to go the Crochet route, can anyone help me figure out how to properly format the pkg repo URL?

Code:
Crochet config file:
option PackageInit http://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:12:aarch64/quarterly

Code:
updating tmp repository catalogue...
pkg: http://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:12:aarch64/quarterly/meta.txz: No address record
repository tmp has no meta file, using default settings
pkg: http://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:12:aarch64/quarterly/packagesite.txz: No address record
Unable to update repository tmp
Error updating repositories!

I am trying to use releng 12.1 src, I don't know if that affects the repo I should be trying to use.

edit; I think I found the solution to this problem. I had to either put in a resolv.conf in my overlay or enable option Resolv.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone, an update with help needed!

I am still trying to compile the kernel, this time using the device itself. I managed to boot the 12.1 RPI image in qemu. So I have the 12.1 image installed to my sd card and another image booted up inside a qemu instance. I am using distcc, which seems to be working. However, it consistently failed while compiling at this point.

make -j6 CC=/usr/local/bin/distcc buildworld buildkernel

Code:
/usr/src/gnu/lib/libgcc/../../../contrib/gcc/unwind-dw2.c:1396:3: error: cannot compile this __builtin_init_dwarf_reg_size_table yet
  __builtin_init_dwarf_reg_size_table (dwarf_reg_size_table);
  ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1 error generated.
distcc[74549] ERROR: compile /usr/src/gnu/lib/libgcc/../../../contrib/gcc/unwind-dw2.c on localhost failed
*** [unwind-dw2.o] Error code 1

make[4]: stopped in /usr/src/gnu/lib/libgcc
1 error

make[4]: stopped in /usr/src/gnu/lib/libgcc
*** [gnu/lib/libgcc__PL] Error code 2

make[3]: stopped in /usr/src
--- lib/libcompiler_rt__PL ---
A failure has been detected in another branch of the parallel make

make[4]: stopped in /usr/src/lib/libcompiler_rt
*** [lib/libcompiler_rt__PL] Error code 2

2 errors

*** [libraries] Error code 2

make[2]: stopped in /usr/src
1 error

make[2]: stopped in /usr/src
*** [_libraries] Error code 2

make[1]: stopped in /usr/src
1 error

make[1]: stopped in /usr/src
*** [buildworld] Error code 2

make: stopped in /usr/src
1 error

make: stopped in /usr/src

Which is similar to this error, but I don't see a solution on this thread, which I can do in FreeBSD.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back