Updating FreeBSD on Raspberry Pi 2

I bought a Raspberry Pi 2 and downloaded a recent image, now I'm wondering how to update the system.

freebsd-update(8) failed.

/usr/src was empty. So I checked it out from svn(1) and ran make buildworld which crashed after a day or two. I figured maybe it had run out of space, so I tried to continue from there with make -j2 -DNO_CLEAN=1 buildworld. That has been running for a good day or so. From looking at the files it was compiling it seemed to me that it really has continued from where we left off, but I'm not at all sure.

I'm thinking I must be doing something wrong. Is there no faster way to update the installation?

Last edited by a moderator:
The images for RPi2 computers are part of the current branch and still under development. Until 11.0 is finalized, updating will probably requiring compiling source code.

Is there no faster way to update the installation?
Reinstall everything starting from a newer snapshot ;-)

I need to update too and was planning to compile from source but if it takes >2 days reinstalling is probably faster.

I sometimes wish FreeBSD had an OpenBSD like update mechanism (reboot, boot snapshot bsd.rd, upgrade, reboot, update packages, done).

Back