Solved Update to 14.0-RELEASE-p6 broke ZFS, my bad

I know we don't like photos, but only way of providing the info.
System that has been running 14.0-RELEASE-p5 for a while, has been rebooted multiple times, I did an update to -p6 this morning and the reboot led to this.
Booting is NOT uefi, standard gpt partitions, I know I've updated gptzfsboot since updating to 14.0, so this seems to be something that came in p5 to p6.
I guess it's now download a live image and hope that I can fix it.

Anyway, just a heads up for people.

Attachments

• badboot.jpg
    badboot.jpg
    420.9 KB · Views: 68
Upgrading for 14.0-RELEASE-P0 -> P6 is working just fine. I suspect that you didn't upgrade your freebsd-boot after you upgraded from 13 or older version to 14-RELEASE.

From 14.0-RELEASE LiveCD amd64

gpart bootcode -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 da0

There's no changes in gptzfsboot from 14.0 p0 to p6

14-RELEASE BootCD
% md5 /mnt/boot/gptzfsboot
MD5 (/mnt/boot/gptzfsboot) = b0ae0026e49a78b73d13882de765ed43
14-RELEASE-p6
% md5 /boot/gptzfsboot
MD5 (/boot/gptzfsboot) = b0ae0026e49a78b73d13882de765ed43

Thanks. I could have sworn I did update the boot bits since updating to 14 and I know I've rebooted the systems more than once, it was a bit of a surprise.
Anyway it was good exercise in how to update using a USB stick.
So all fixed now.

Can you check if your zpool is also upgraded?

# zpool version
zfs-2.2.0-FreeBSD_g95785196f
zfs-kmod-2.2.0-FreeBSD_g95785196f

Before upgrade it's always good idea to have a backup. Just in case. And all vdev should be available and the pool should not be in degraded mode.
zpool-upgrade(8)

Can you check if your zpool is also upgraded?

# zpool version
zfs-2.2.0-FreeBSD_g95785196f
zfs-kmod-2.2.0-FreeBSD_g95785196f

zpool-upgrade(8)
I'm showing the same versions as you, zpool upgrade is not showing "pool can be upgraded"
The md5 of gptzfsboot on the system shows the same hash as you, mounting "da0s2a" from the memstick image also gives that same hash.

Timestamp of /boot/gptzfsboot in the running system is
-r--r--r-- 1 root wheel 177010 Feb 11 09:53 /boot/gptzfsboot
From the memstick
ls -l /mnt/boot/gptzfsboot
-r--r--r-- 1 root wheel 177010 Nov 10 04:23 /mnt/boot/gptzfsboot

So the only conclusion I have is I missed updating the bootcode. The system in question is a ZFS mirror for the OS, so speculation is I updated one device but not the other and for some reason the BIOS decided to boot off the one that I forgot to do.
All fixed now at least, thanks for the info about versions and such.

Don't forget that if you have multiple disk with freebsd-boot partition you need to upgrade all of them. In case your first disk fail your Bios will try to boot from the secondary hard disk and if it's freebsd-boot is old version it will fail.

Don't forget that if you have multiple disk with freebsd-boot partition you need to upgrade all of them. In case your first disk fail your Bios will try to boot from the secondary hard disk and if it's freebsd-boot is old version it will fail.
Yep, had that happen in the past, I must have forgotten this time. Oh well, perhaps I can blame it on lack of coffee at some point.

zpool history shows I did "zpool upgrade zroot" on 10Mar2024, so I did upgrade it, I'm going to say "I mucked this one up"

Back