Solved Update fails with error 70 because of problematic file (xorgproto-2018.4 with xproto-7.0.31)

Hello,

I'm using FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p12 and use portmaster -a to update my ports. Today I want to update my ports, including x11/xorgproton.

At the beginning portmaster posts:

===>>> The x11/bigreqsproto port moved to x11/xorgproto
===>>> Reason: merged into x11/xorgproto

After starting the update I always get this error:

Installing xorgproto-2018.4...
pkg-static: xorgproto-2018.4 conflicts with xproto-7.0.31 (installs files into the same place). Problematic file: /usr/local/include/X11/DECkeysym.h
*** Error code 70

I think the error follows the moved port.

But now I'm lost. How can I solve this?

Thanks for your help!

Have you looked at /usr/ports/UPDATING? Apparently, you will have to wind up removing most of your *proto packages, which is going to remove a bunch of packages that use X, so I've been procrastinating, for example, in my case, trying to upgrade virtualbox conflicts with gproto which, if removed removes some things that are fairly necessary for work. Look at /usr/ports/UPDATING entry 20180731

Have you looked at /usr/ports/UPDATING? Apparently, you will have to wind up removing most of your *proto packages, which is going to remove a bunch of packages that use X,
That happened to me and, to solved it, I had to remove xorg and reinstall it, as well as fvwm2, firefox and everything else, all from ports.
Be prepared to spend many hours doing that.
Those builds took almost a night on my AMD Ryzen 7 (where I'm writing this).

I just did on an almost unused workstation, and found it wasn't that bad. Doesn't mean I'm ready to do it at my work workstation though. :)

I replaced several of the removed packages using pkg which made it all go more quickly. I only used ports for the nvidia-driver, as that's the one, due the kernel still working with 11.1-RELEASE, has to be done by port.

That happened to me and, to solved it, I had to remove xorg and reinstall it, as well as fvwm2, firefox and everything else, all from ports.
That makes little sense to me. Are you by any chance combining the installation of ports and binary packages? Because that's the only explanation I can come up with.

I simply followed the command in /usr/ports/UPDATING, installed x11/xorgproto and that was the end of that:

Code:
peter@zefiris:/var/log $ pkg info -dx xorg-server | grep proto
        xproto-7.0.31
peter@zefiris:/var/log $ grep xorg-server pkg.log
peter@zefiris:/var/log $
For context /var/pkg.log is just what the name implies: a separate log file which contains mention of all the packages which have been (de)installed.

That makes little sense to me. Are you by any chance combining the installation of ports and binary packages? Because that's the only explanation I can come up with.
Now you got me :)
That is the explanation for it.
I installed xorg using pkg and forgot that I did that.
Some time later I try to build something from ports and stumble on that error.
Needless to say that I never used pkg (on this machine) again.

Have you looked at /usr/ports/UPDATING? Apparently, you will have to wind up removing most of your *proto packages, which is going to remove a bunch of packages that use X, so I've been procrastinating, for example, in my case, trying to upgrade virtualbox conflicts with gproto which, if removed removes some things that are fairly necessary for work. Look at /usr/ports/UPDATING entry 20180731
You made my day! I remove all orphaned ports with this command:

pkg version -l \? | cut -f 1 -w | grep -v compat | xargs pkg delete -fy

After that I can install x11/xorgproto without any problem!

Yes, I had to combine because I don't plan to do everything from ports but have an NVidia card. I did find, on my work workstation though, that installing a package that required xproto, when using packages, it seems to have fixed everything and there were no errors when I then upgraded VirtualBox which also has to be done through ports. (For those not aware, currently, 11.2 has some issues with a few packages, as the kernel is still for 11.1 and NVidia and VirtualBox, and probably others have to be installed via port, not package.)

I had that same problem with ports Thread 66970.
Now I updated laptop with packages without any issue and in expected way. Some how pkg upgrade manages dependency well by installing xorgproto, deleting all installed *proto packages, upgrading some packages and reinstalling some packages including palemoon & firefox. May be this dependency problem by portmaster
need to be managed properly.

I know this is a little late but it took me about a half an hour to fix.

I tried to do a pkg delete xproto and found it wanted to delete 498 packages. I didn't want to go there, so I did a pkg delete -f xproto. It deleted the package and left the other 497 packages. Great so I did
cd /usr/ports/x11/xorgproto/ && make install clean and got another package conflict.

At this point i did pkg delete -f [I]new package[/I]
I did cd /usr/ports/x11/xorgproto/ && make install clean and got a different package.

I repeated the steps, delete and install for about two dozen packages or so and finally the install of xorgproto completed.
I think all the packages I deleted had "proto" somewhere in the name except for one.
This appeared to be to easy. I ran startx and everything worked.
OK. Still to easy. Thinking that it was using the the old packages I rebooted the system and it still worked.

Back