Other Unmountable USB flash drive

I would give a try playing with the modepage command arguments.
Thanks, so I've tried this:
Code:
# camcontrol modepage da0 -l
0x2a    CD capabilities and mechanical status
which means the ONLY modepage returned by the drive is about CD capabilities and mechanical status... So there is obviously something wrong! I'm sure the drive is not a CD :)
Not sure whether I should try the reset subcommand on the drive: it's not necessary to definitely break the drive.

I haven't closely investigated which function determines to set a write protect disk flag, also my knowledge might be insufficient to extract that information. Maybe someone else has a clue.
Anyway it looks like the drive needs to get repaired, anyhow. No idea how, the tools from the sg3_utils(8) look very complete, but quite hard to understand.

Is this an older USB device, respectively used a lot? The Read-only file system message sounds a lot like the drive has reached it's write cycle limit, but on the other hand it shouldn't be mountable/writable in Linux.
Well I have it since several years, but used it only seldom (never as much as these days actually).

So using MODE SENSE(10) returns write protected, and MODE SENSE(6) says it's not write protected?
Exactly!

Maybe that is why Linux and Freebsd handle the stick differently.

Unlucky, I guess.
Yes, I guess this is the conclusion, unless someone can help to reset this SWP via MODE SENSE(10) (so far, sg_wr_mode says this reset is not saveable).

Back