Solved Understanding the UFS filesystem

Hi,

I've been running freebsd 12-CURRENT for a while now, and would like to understand how the UFS file system works internally.

I read the Filesystems/Filestores section of the FreeBSD 4.4 Design handbook: https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/design-44bsd/overview-filesystem.html

I also looked into the source code in the kernel tree, at , /usr/src/sys/ufs/ where the files seem to declare structures required for a filesystem (UFS in this case). I could make some sense out of it, but do not know what part of the kernel code calls into it, or how the whole thing comes together on a freebsd installation. For example, what part of the code handles the initial mounting of the root filesystem?

Any pointers for understanding the overall picture (and some advice on understanding/hacking the filesystem related code) appreciated!

PS - Are there any open issues with UFS that I could possibly work on to understand more of what's going on under the hood?

Thanks!

Thanks for the information. I was able to find a few threads related to UFS in August '18's . I'll send any filesystem development related queries to the mailing list(s).

Back