unbound external nameserver

Hi All

I have unbound running on my laptop. When I booted up today I couldn't resolve any hosts. Finally figured out it was the resolv.conf.
I had to uncomment the external google nameserver to resolve any hosts.

So my resolv.conf now looks like this

Code:
# Generated by resolvconf
search localdomain
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4

nameserver 127.0.0.1
options edns0

But it was working fine yesterday with this config

Code:
# Generated by resolvconf
search localdomain
#nameserver 8.8.8.8
#nameserver 8.8.4.4

nameserver 127.0.0.1
options edns0

using only the unbound nameserver

I have unbound set up on Linux and it works with only the unbound nameserver as well

Anyone got any ideas what's going on?

Try some troubleshooting commands - drill, traceroute, etc. It may be that name resolution is no longer possible on your machine and/or via your ISP.

Your config might also have been tampered with.

Do you have a recursive/authoritative dns server (nsd) running? Or is your unbound meant to connect to a dnscrypt-proxy on your machine or somewhere on the Internet? Again, your unbound is just not connecting to the next server inline...

Order of nameserver in resolv.conf is important. The first server is always used, the second is only used when the first doesn't respond (time-out). The third only when the second doesn't respond, etc.

Order of nameserver in resolv.conf is important. The first server is always used, the second is only used when the first doesn't respond (time-out). The third only when the second doesn't respond, etc.
You are right. Thanks for that info SirDice. That is why I asked if he has some other services that might operate at 127.0.0.1 running.

Back