Unable to Wirelessly Connect

• Thread starter Deleted member 47080
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 47080

Ok, so according to ifconfig(8), my Atheros wireless card is detected out of the box. By default I get an ath0 interface.
I've followed handbook instructions on setting up WiFi, and can never get wpa_supplicant(8) to actually connect (network is WPA2-PSK AES). net-mgmt/wifimgr crashes (as reported in another thread) and net/wpa_gui simply scans forever but never shows anything.

Relevant rc.conf:
Code:
ifconfig_re0="up"
ifconfig_ath0="ether OBSCURED_RE0_MAC"
wlans_ath0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA"
cloned_interfaces="lagg0"
ifconfig_lagg0="laggproto failover laggport re0 laggport wlan0 DHCP"

Relevant wpa_supplicant.conf
Code:
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel

network={
ssid="MYSSID"
priority=5
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
proto=WPA RSN
psk="PSK"
}

My user is in wheel and operator groups. Also tried wpa_gui via sudo(8), same results. I've also tried this whole shebang with the LAGG config switched out for plain old eth and WLAN, and had no better luck.

Walk before you run. By that, I mean get a simple wireless connection working before setting up lagg(4). And keep it as simple as possible by removing all the extra settings from wpa_supplicant.conf:
Code:
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel

network={
        ssid="MYSSID"
        psk="PSK"
}

/etc/rc.conf
Code:
wlans_ath0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA SYNCDHCP"

If you have a hidden SSIDs, realize that they frequently cause problems and require extra settings.

I started out with pretty much that config (without the ctrl_interface part, and using DHCP instead of SYNCDHCP). I just tried it again exactly as you have it for completeness - on boot, still tries and fails to start. wpa_gui still scans without end or result.
The SSID isn't hidden, so no issues there.

Avoid the GUI stuff for now. Is this a notebook or desktop? If it is a notebook, is the wireless disabled in the BIOS or with a switch? Try ifconfig wlan0 up list scan a couple of times and see what it shows.

Ok, avoiding the GUI for now. This is a stock Lenovo B570 laptop. Wireless is enabled in both BIOS and switch, and the command does nothing. Executes without error, returning immediately to the prompt.

It hasn't done anything different since you told me to run it the first time.

Attached

Attachments

• dm.txt
    12.3 KB · Views: 187
The machine was shut off without being shut down. Please boot in single user mode and use fsck -tufs -y before continuing.

I used shutdown -r now in a terminal inside X. Never had any trouble with this method before today, but apparently it's a no-no. At any rate, I've fsck'd.

Make sure the contents of /etc/rc.conf and /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf are still what they were, then try ifconfig wlan0 up list scan again. If that still shows nothing, hold Fn and press F5. Then try the scan one more time.

That changed nothing. Isn't that a software button anyway?

Try to disable password for your SSID.
Check if network (router) is running on 2,4 GHz not 5 Ghz....
My Acer netbook doesn't detect 5 GHZ networks, also if used WPA it works, but when used WPA2 it is not working.

Back