Solved Unable to make the IWM wireless card to work (Intel ac7265)

Hello there!

I am having a bit of trouble trying to set up FreeBSD for my Thinkpad L450. I can't seem to manage getting the wireless working.

During the installation process my wifi card wasn't recognized, but I managed to get the network working after manually loading the iwm and the 7265 firmware, however after boot I don't have a working network anymore.

service netif restart prompts this error message: "ifconfig: SIOCIFCREATE2: Device not configured"

I have my loader.conf configured like this:
Code:
if_iwm_load="YES"
iwm7265fw_load="YES"
wlan_wep_load="YES"
wlan_ccmp_load="YES"
wlan_tkip_load="YES"
my rc.conf
Code:
wlans_iwm0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP"
eventually I even compiled the kernel with all the firmware on it, but I am getting the exact same problem. Doing a sysctl net.wlan.devices returns a blank prompt, and grep -i wireless /var/run/dmesg.boot returns iwm0: <Intel (R) Dual Band Wireless AC 7265>.

It is confusing that it worked during install but refuses to work after it, so I am a bit stuck in here. What could be the problem?

Thank you in advance for any help

That is interesting. I checked the link you sent me and it seems like they changed the firmware name, so while the man page points to iwm7265fw_load="YES" the actual name is iwm7265Dfw_load="YES".

Now it loads the module and ifconfig shows wlan0, but it is not connecting. It might be that I changed so many times the config files that I messed up something. I am going to work on that.

The first time, when I did an ifconfig it just showed the virtual interface and the Network card with its usual parameters. The second time, after it was able to use ifconfig to create wlan0 it showed the ssid and everyting needed, but no connection.

I ended up reinstalling so I could have fresh config files and now It works. I did found interesting one thing tho:

After booting fresh and doing a "kldload if_iwm" it also loaded the required firmware and I didn't had to do anything else. However, if I want to do it boot time I also need to type the firmware into the loader.conf file, otherwise I need to load it manually and restart the network.

Thank you very much for the reply. I have a long day compiling ports now!

Back