Unable to boot as FreeBSD 12.2 ( i386) bricked my laptop

This weekend in my BSD experiences I tried to install FreeBSD 12.2 into an old unbranded 2003 Intel Centrino M laptop 512Mb RAM but it did not go well ...
( I know beforehand that it might be needed the I386 iso and selected all the default installation choices )
The Laptop previously had installed Ubuntu , Windows , AntiX ...
The laptop BIOS is an Insyde BL050 , text interface only with option just to identify the machine devices ; change the timedate clock and change the devices boot order.
USB boot does not work so I am using the internal DVD reader to boot the system .

What I was not expecting was that after a apparently succesfull full HDD installation I got to a BIOS "bricked" machine...

After the install the BIOS froze in the first info screen right after POST, locking the system in the first screen ( even keyborad did not respond) .

At first I though because the HDD ( 20Gb Toshiba Hitachi IDE ) were so old that I had hardware fault .

Afterwards swapped HDDs ( 40Gb HDD ) and restarted the default install process again with the same behaviour ...
Another try with another HDD ( more "recent" 80GB ) also with the same behaviour ...

After the 3 failed install attempts, I become suspicious and thought "lets check externally the HDDs" ....
To my surprise all the HDDs were OK, all with a GPT partition table with 3 partitions .
As I have readed that some old BIOS did not like the GPT partition table, I wrote a simple empty MBR partition via GParted into one of the HDDs;
Put it ( HDD ) in the Laptop, and the system started correctly passing the POST BIOS screen, reporting as expected : No booting HDD found.

Afterwards tried to install ( always wiping the full HDD ) some other BSD flavours ( with some degree of sucess due to display issues ) but none of them locked me out as FreeBSD ...
Installed succesfully some recent Linux es ( 32bits kernel versions though ) ...

After some research in the forum I found several entries more or less related to this :

Besides choosing manually the shell and editing the HDD partitions, how in the installer can I define that I needed a MBR partition table ?
How come in the i386 section ( which is supposed to support legacy CPU architectures ) the default installation choices are the defined to the most "recent" ?
Sorry for the rant but I though that this detail could be solved by now ( Release 12 ) .

Thanks in advance

The installer lets you choose the partition scheme you want, default choice is GPT but you can select MBR instead.

Back