Unable to access disk

I'm trying to access a SATA disk taken out of PVR with a hope of copying recordings on the disk before I return the PVR when my subscription expires in a couple of weeks. When running gpart show the disk does not show up, but the system does see the disk when I run camcontrol devlist which shows:-
<TOSHIBA MQ01ABD050V -63 3202> at scbus2 target 0 lun 0 (da0,pass2)

Is there any way I can copy the recordings from the disk?

Is there any way I can copy the recordings from the disk?
There's no partition table and it's unknown what kind of filesystem they used. You could try file -s /dev/da0 to see if it's recognized.

If I dd if=/dev/da0 of=/dev/ada0p4 bs=2MB would I get the same result using file -s /dev/ada0p4? I'm hoping I can preserve a copy of the data before I have to return it.

(ada0p4 is bigger than da0).

If I dd if=/dev/da0 of=/dev/ada0p4 bs=2MB would I get the same result using file -s /dev/ada0p4?
It should, yes, dd(1) makes a bit-for-bit copy of the original data. You can also create a file image that way, dd if=/dev/da0 of=/tmp/mybackup.img bs=2MB. That image file can be loaded using mdconfig(8); mdconfig -a -f /tmp/mybackup.img. Which will give you an md(4) device to work with.

Code:
file -s /dev/da1
/dev/da1: Linux rev 1.0 ext4 filesystem data, UUID=6dc18958-66f1-479d-98b5-eb9b35b6d7a5, volume name "TOSHIBA MQ01ABD0/mnt/hdd/sda" (needs journal recovery) (extents) (large files) (huge files)
Code:
disktype /dev/da1

--- /dev/da1
Character device, size 465.8 GiB (500107862016 bytes)
Ext3 file system
  Volume name "TOSHIBA MQ01ABD0"
  UUID 6DC18958-66F1-479D-98B5-EB9B35B6D7A5 (DCE, v4)
  Last mounted at "/mnt/hdd/sda"
  Volume size 465.8 GiB (500107862016 bytes, 122096646 blocks of 4 KiB)

So although FreeBSD supports Ext3/4, there are no mountable partitions, so I can't access the data.... Would I be able access the data if I booted up Linux?

So although FreeBSD supports Ext3/4, there are no mountable partitions
Mount the disk, it's what we would call a "dangerously dedicated" disk. The filesystem is created directly on the disk, without a partition table.

Mount the disk, it's what we would call a "dangerously dedicated" disk. The filesystem is created directly on the disk, without a partition table.

This worked!

lklfuse -o type=ext4 /dev/da1 /mnt/tmp

Many thanks.

Unfortunately I can't work out how to view the files. They seem to be in some sort of proprietary format. At least I can copy them and figure out how to access them later.

Back