Solved UHD Graphics 630 hw acceleration

I'm trying to setup a headless plex server with hw acceleration on FreeBSD 13.1-RELEASE-p6. I installed drm-510-kmod and gpu-firmware-kmod with all the intel modules. kldstat shows both i915kms.ko and drm.ko as loaded.
Currently, I have kld_list="i915kms" in rc.conf and drm_load="YES" in loader.conf.

dmesg drm output:
Code:
drmn0: <drmn> on vgapci0
vgapci0: child drmn0 requested pci_enable_io
vgapci0: child drmn0 requested pci_enable_io
[drm] Unable to create a private tmpfs mount, hugepage support will be disabled(-19).
[drm] Got stolen memory base 0x80000000, size 0x10000000
drmn0: successfully loaded firmware image 'i915/kbl_dmc_ver1_04.bin'
drmn0: [drm] Finished loading DMC firmware i915/kbl_dmc_ver1_04.bin (v1.4)
drmn0: [drm] failed to retrieve link info, disabling eDP
sysctl_warn_reuse: can't re-use a leaf (hw.dri.debug)!
[drm] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20200917 for drmn0 on minor 0
pciconf -lv output:
Code:
hostb0@pci0:0:0:0:    class=0x060000 rev=0x0d hdr=0x00 vendor=0x8086 device=0x3ec2 subvendor=0x1043 subdevice=0x8694
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = '8th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers'
    class      = bridge
    subclass   = HOST-PCI
vgapci0@pci0:0:2:0:    class=0x030000 rev=0x02 hdr=0x00 vendor=0x8086 device=0x3e98 subvendor=0x1043 subdevice=0x8694
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = 'CoffeeLake-S GT2 [UHD Graphics 630]'
    class      = display
    subclass   = VGA
glxinfo gives this error:
Error: unable to open display

Hardware: Asus Rog Strix Z390-F with Intel i5-9600K - UHD Graphics 630
Any feedback is appreciated.

Please post your log: cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | nc termbin.com 9999

Note that glxinfo requires to be run from inside a working X session. The 'error' you're seeing is a failure to connect to that X session. Which likely isn't running as this is supposedly a "headless" system.

Yes, my bad. It is headless, so I didn't install any X environments, hence that log file is absent. I also tried ffmpeg and I think it works both on host and inside plex jail. At this point I think the issue might be with plex.
Thanks for the reply.

Oh well, it seems to be an user permission issue, because changing the plex jail user to root fixes hw acc.
Sorry for starting this thread. I thought I tried everything...

Well, you don't want to run plex as root for obvious reasons. With X a user needs to be a member of the video group. So I would make that 'plex' user a member of 'video' and see if that works.

For access to /dev/drm/ devices, the user should be a member of the video group.

That was the way it was initially set up. I created an user and added it to 'video' group. Not sure what went wrong, I will try again. Thank you for your time.

To use hardware acceleration, I believe it states that very clearly that the plex user must be member of the video group in the message that is displayed after the installation of plex.

Back