Solved UDF DVDs?

Does FreeBSD support UFS2 DVDs? I can mount a watch a couple of used DVD I bought, but I'm not having any luck with the DVDs I burned.

Your question is not clear, what do you mean by "UFS2 DVD" ?
Or, may be, how do you recorded your DVDs ?

I burned some DVDs on OS X. I can mount and play commercial DVDs on FreeBSD, but not the burned DVDs. No problems on OS X.

Given that the DVDs work on OS X, this indicates to me that nothing is wrong with the DVD. Given that I can not even mount the DVDs on FreeBSD, this indicates to me that the problem is at a lower level than the playback software.

Is FreeBSD simply unable to mount some burned DVDs? (Nevermind the specific filesystem the disk uses for now.)

EDIT: I may have meant UDF instead of UFS, but at this point I'm not confident I know what the problem is.

I burned some DVDs on OS X. I can mount and play commercial DVDs on FreeBSD, but not the burned DVDs. No problems on OS X.

Given that the DVDs work on OS X, this indicates to me that nothing is wrong with the DVD. Given that I can not even mount the DVDs on FreeBSD, this indicates to me that the problem is at a lower level than the playback software.

Is FreeBSD simply unable to mount some burned DVDs? (Nevermind the specific filesystem the disk uses for now.)

EDIT: I may have meant UDF instead of UFS, but at this point I'm not confident I know what the problem is.

Most probably you burnt a hybrid data DVD (ISO9660+HFS) since UDF is not the default format for burning on the Mac. Your self-burned DVD's won't even play in most of the commodity standalone DVD players. The Mac can play those disks, because it is smart enough to play VIDEO_TS from any kind of data source.

Your choices are:
1. on FreeBSD use multimedia/vlc and open (e.g. by drag and drop) the VIDEO_TS folder from the hybrid data DVD
2. utilize a software called Burn on the Mac in order to produce UDF-Video DVDs
3. utilize the tool hdiutil(1) which comes with Mac OS X for doing the same on the command line
4. on your Mac install cdrtools using MacPorts -- the very same, that are available in the FreeBSD ports (sysutils/cdrtools), and you can produce UDF-Video DVDs also with this.

It appears that this existing set of self-burned DVDs has limited compatibility. If I want "useful" DVDs I need to pay attention to the filesystem used moving forward.

Thank you!

Back