(U|Z)FS consistency and delayed allocation

If I'm understanding things right, UFS with softupdates explicitly avoids this issue: Metadate updates (such as a rename) are only done after the associated blocks are written. This apparently uses some form of dependency tree for the operations - I haven't read the paper on it yet.

The ext4 issue is in short that metadata is written quickly while the related data writes can be put off for a long time (half a minute and the like). In the case of "write a new file, then rename it over an old file", that means there's a long window where the data on disk refer to a new file that hasn't had its data commited yet.

In order to make this less unpleasant, the current state of ext4 has a hack written in for this case: On a rename, dump the new file to disk immediately. (This is suboptimal, since a chain of updates results in a chain of forced syncs - but better than losing data.)

Sounds reasonable. I wasn't aware that softupdates order metadata with data, but if this is so then it shouldn't be a problem.

If I understood the ZFS copy-on-write model right there shouldn't be a problem too.

Don't trust me on it, I pulled it from some random page I saw discussing this. It might be mentioned in the softupdates paper, though - I still haven't gotten around to reading that.

Back