Two additional forum sections

Hello, first post!

I'd like to suggest you add two sections to the forum, one dedicated to 'security' and another that has a web interface to the mailing lists.

I see that this thread hasn't been posted on for a long time, and I also have seen the sticky thread that additional areas on the forum won't likely be added, but I have only recently joined on here and would love to see a security section. Security and encryption was what brought me to use FreeBSD several years ago.

As moderators/administrators how do you determine if there is enough interest in a new topic, and what is the threshold for making a new one? Please, forgive me if the question seems inappropriate to ask.

Naught0 said:
would love to see a security section. Security and encryption was what brought me to use FreeBSD several years ago.
[snip]
Please, forgive me if the question seems inappropriate to ask.
Asking is fine, but a security section probably isn't going to happen, if only because it's such a broad topic that there would be too much overlap with existing sections, e.g. "General", "Networking", "Web & Network Services", "Userland Programming and Scripting" and "Storage".

Security happens on every level of the OSI model, so to speak, and should be addressed at the appropriate level. E.g. I have secured my services (mail, web, news, etc.) on a physical, network, router, firewall (block and hold-off/throttle), DNS (think: SPF records for mail), and application level, and I have scripts hanging off log files for additional detection and automatic blacklisting. Each of these levels and measures merit discussions in their own specific forums. As a whole, such a topic would become chaotic. Security is a vertical thang, it is not a topic in itself, it is an aspect of all levels of traffic, computing, and storage.

I hope I'm not 'out of line' here but I felt like sharing this one.. If you want an example as to why having such a broad forum around would be a bad idea then check out the asp.net security forum. I realize this is quite off topic, so I'll be brief.

ASP ("web-based programming language") knows several development 'models', in my example I'm focussing on 'Forms applications' and 'MVC applications'. These two are quite different yet also share several similarities, but when it comes to setting up a default login page the process for both is completely different (not taking different authentication schemes into account, as said; I'm trying to be brief).

Now, I know quite a bit about Forms applications but hardly anything about MVC. So when I see an interesting question, let's say someone asking about 'Single Sign On' how can I determine that it's something I can actually answer or address (Web Forms, Web pages) or something I simply know nothing about (MVC)?

Simple answer is that I can't. The direct result is that I actually feel to be wasting my time skimming that forum because in many cases I come across posts which may look appealing at first, when I open them they turn out to address topics I'm simply unfamiliar with (and have no desire to dive into).

So I hardly visit that forum and instead limit my visits to the forums where I can be sure that the posts I read will actually address something I'm at least somewhat familiar with. And believe me: I know that there are quite a few people who feel exactly the same.

"Overspecialize and you breed in weakness", my favorite movie quote :)

Back