Tweak pidgin

DemoDoG

I saw this screenlet that let´s you display only the groups and contacts from Pidgin, I think it looks fantastic:

http://gnome-look.org/CONTENT/content-pre1/93022-1.jpg

Has anyone installed this on FreeBSD? Screenlets are not in the ports at all, as far as I can see.

Or do you have any other ideas how to make Pidgin as minimalistic and barebone as possible?

kamikaze

Do you have a link to the source/project of that thing? Maybe it can be ported.

kamikaze

I think this isn't a Pidgin plugin. To me it looks like this is a Gnome plugin that hooks into Pidgin. Sorry, I don't use Gnome.

lme@

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Developer

But having the screenlets stuff ported to FreeBSD would be very nice. :)

roddierod

Aspiring Daemon

I have screenlets running on FreeBSD 7.0, I just had to do a little hacking of the start up script and it runs fine.

The problem is that most of the screenlets are linux based so that don't show anything. The weather and calendar one run fine as well as the Nvidia one but none of the system monitoring one seem to work.

I did not try the Pidgin plug in. I'm not home now, but I can try it out when I get home.

OP
OP
D

DemoDoG

Yes that would be very nice because if it works I will try it too. Perhaps I was a little confusing in my post, I know it´s not a pidgin-plugin.

What bothers me with pidgin is the menu at top and the online button in the bottom. I think there is a plugin that disables the menu but it was a little annoying because it displayed it when you moved the cursor over it.

lme@

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Developer

roddierod said:
I have screenlets running on FreeBSD 7.0, I just had to do a little hacking of the start up script and it runs fine.

The problem is that most of the screenlets are linux based so that don't show anything. The weather and calendar one run fine as well as the Nvidia one but none of the system monitoring one seem to work.

I did not try the Pidgin plug in. I'm not home now, but I can try it out when I get home.
Great, a PR with a shar file for the port would be appreciated! :)

roddierod

Aspiring Daemon

I've never done an offical type port, so I'm reading over the porters handbook. Any quick pointer would be appreciated.

roddierod

Aspiring Daemon

I don't know what changed, other than I did a buildworld yesterday, but now the pidgin plugin is working...

Screenshot

OP
OP
D

DemoDoG

Cool, it looks awsome! I will try it too, tomorrow. Would be good to have a freebsd port or package though :)

roddierod

Aspiring Daemon

I'm going to start to look at making the package today. There are a few things you need to change in the code because the seem to be hardcoded for a linux system and there is also and error message that pops up on start of the screenlets manager that may be erroneous.

Anyway, you contact me if you need some help...

OP
OP
D

DemoDoG

Okay please tell me when you have made the package and I will try it on my computer too.

kamikaze

I'm just wondering. How do you scroll through your contact list that way? What if there are 50 instead of 15 people in your list online?

roddierod

Aspiring Daemon

Fortunately I don't have 50 people to chat with via IM :)

But, I don't use it I was just testing it for the OP. I did try to configure it or anything I just ran it with default settings.