Solved Trying to setup DHCP to communicate with my BIND server

uname -a : FreeBSD anthem.027esc.net 12.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE r354233 GENERIC amd64

I'm running bind916-9.16.2 and isc-dhcp44-server-4.4.2 both from packages.

I have set up dhcp to pass out about 50 leases with static addresses. I would like bind to pick up these 50 addresses for local address resolution.

Will dhcp and pass information onto bind. I could not find anything that shows how to set it up. Or will I need to create the records the same records in bind?

TIA.

-Julian

I have set up dhcp to pass out about 50 leases with static addresses. I would like bind to pick up these 50 addresses for local address resolution.

Will dhcp and pass information onto bind. I could not find anything that shows how to set it up. Or will I need to create the records the same records in bind?
You can set up dhcpd to dynamically register leases with your DNS server when they are handed out, but with static leases that is rather pointless. You are probably better off to just create static mappings in your zone files. If you want to avoid having mappings in two different places (zone files + dhcpd.conf), create the mappings in your zone files, then use domain names instead of IP addresses for the fixed-address declarations in your dhcpd.conf:
Code:
         The fixed-address declaration

fixed-address address [, address ... ];

The fixed-address declaration is used to assign one or more fixed
           IP addresses to a client.  It should only appear in a host
           declaration.  If more than one address is supplied, then when the
           client boots, it will be assigned the address that corresponds to
           the network on which it is booting.  If none of the addresses in
           the fixed-address statement are valid for the network to which the
           client is connected, that client will not match the host
           declaration containing that fixed-address declaration.  Each
           address in the fixed-address declaration should be either an IP
           address or a domain name that resolves to one or more IP addresses.

It's all there in the dhcpd.conf() man page ;)

At a minimum, you need these statements:

Code:
ddns-updates on;
ddns-update-style standard;
ddns-ttl 86400;
deny client-updates;
do-forward-updates on;
update-optimization off;
update-conflict-detection off;

I would start off simple and get it working before using other features such and keys.

You will also need to configure the DNS server to allow-updates for both the reverse and forward zones.

Back