Trying to install 12.0-RELEASE, but it crashes during the boot process.

Hello.

I'm trying to install 12.0-RELEASE on my laptop. It crashes right after printing this message:
Code:
ACPI APIC TABLE:  <GBT              GBTUACPI>

Nothing works. I've to restart the laptop by the hardware switch. In the verbose mode, it prints a few more lines before crashing:

Code:
ACPI APIC TABLE:  <GBT              GBTUACPI>
L3 cache ID shift: 4
L2 cache ID shift: 1
L1 cache ID shift: 1
Core ID shift: 1
[and again crashes here...]

I've downloaded FreeBSD-12.0-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img, and I wrote it with dd(1)() on my 8GB USB Flash Drive. The checksum is OK. AHCI is also disabled in the BIOS. I've an old laptop from 2011, it has an Intel core-i5 CPU, with 6GB of RAM.

Older versions of FreeBSD (9.x and 10.x) work fine, but everything newer than 10.4 (11.x and 12.0) crashes.

AHCI is also disabled in the BIOS.
Enable this. You will want to use ahci(4).

What is the make and model of the laptop? It helps if we know what kind of hardware it has. Also look for BIOS/UEFI updates, those sometimes help too.

Have you a bootable FreeBSD CD / DVD and does the laptop boot with it? Have you choose the OS for the right architecture?
Choosing an Image
https://www.freebsd.org/where.html

Addition: I'm running at home FreeBSD on a "Hewlett-Packard Vectra VL600" PC server system with "Intel Pentium III (Copermine) 733Mhz CPU" and "256MB (2 x 128 DualChannel) RAM" FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p4, so I believe the OS version ist not the problem.

Have you choose the OS for the right architecture?

Of course, in the past I have installed a number of 64-bit operating systems on this laptop, including 64-bit version of FreeBSD 9.x, and used it for over 3 years.

Have you a bootable FreeBSD CD / DVD and does the laptop boot with it?

Today I downloaded FreeBSD-12.0-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso and burned it on a DVD. Although the booting process passed that stage 7 times, it failed 2 times exactly at that stage. This is a significant improvement as the memstick version failed at every attempt, but probably the installation media is not the cause.

I don't know what's wrong here, other operating systems work fine, including the older versions of FreeBSD itself.

Back