trigger to open port in firewall

hej folks,

i am looking for a method in pf or ipfw to allow for a certain ip access to port, lets say ssh in this case. in basic this should work like knockd for instance, just wondering if i can build something like this with pf or ipfw as well.
i do not need a sequence of different ports and protocols as a trigger some tcp syn or whatsoever would be enough.

any clue?

cheers,

How about just restricting access to that specific IP address?

For PF something like this:
Code:
block in on $ext_if proto tcp from any to any port 22
pass in on $ext_if proto tcp from 1.2.3.4 to any port 22 keep state

SirDice said:
How about just restricting access to that specific IP address?

well, i have to take into account that the originating ip address may change as we talk about in some cases of a dialup connection. filtering on the base of dns would not be a solution as well.

Right. Mine is just open to the world. I keep bruteforce attacks somewhat in check by using security/sshguard-pf. Of course I also make sure I don't have easily guessed usernames and passwords.

SirDice said:
Right. Mine is just open to the world. I keep bruteforce attacks somewhat in check by using security/sshguard-pf. Of course I also make sure I don't have easily guessed usernames and passwords.

yeah. ssh would be one of the major interests for a remote device, but i can imagine to do this with other services as well. in the end it is the basic assumption, what nobody can see is not there ;)
it would be possible to hack a special kld for this, on the other hand using something already tested would spare some days of crashing :D

iirc you can do some tricks like this with iptables already, maybe i just have to dig through the pf papers.

cheers,

authpf(8) is quite nice. Just run a second sshd on a random high port, connect to it, authenticate, and your IP address is added to a table. Disconnect from sshd, and your IP address is dropped again.

Sounds like you want port knocking, where you send a series of TCP packets to specific ports on a server, in a specific order, after which, a TCP port is opened and connections are allowed. Usually used to enable SSH on a system without actually having SSH running/listening on a specific port.

A super-quick ports search found security/knock. No idea how well it works, as I've never used port knocking.

Google may be able to find more info on the technique.

Back