Transfer files (to an iPad)

I've googled this topic without any success, hopefully there is a means to accomplish the task. I've saved all of my family photos on BSD 13.1 and need to transfer them to my ipad. The files are on my external back up drive and still on my current hard drives. Is there a means to accomplish this task easily?

Also, I've tried to wipe one of my WD 1Tb hard drive so I can use it as a backup. I was part of my RAID array, but no longer need. Nevertheless, all of my reading, studying, and googling has left me without success. Here is my last attempt to try and wipe the dirve from use.

[root@randy /dev]# chmod -R 777 /dev/ada2p1
[root@randy /dev]# wipe -To | size=200g /dev/ada2p1
bash: /dev/ada2p1: Permission denied
[root@randy /dev]# wipe -To | size=200g /dev/ada2
bash: /dev/ada2: Permission denied

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

In addition:
root@randy ~]# camcontrol devlist
<SanDisk SDSSDH3 500G 415020RL> at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,ada0)
<SanDisk SDSSDH3 500G 415020RL> at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (pass1,ada1)
<WDC WD10EZEX-08WN4A0 02.01A02> at scbus2 target 0 lun 0 (ada2,pass2)
<ASUS DRW-24B1ST j 1.11> at scbus4 target 0 lun 0 (cd0,pass3)
<AHCI SGPIO Enclosure 2.00 0001> at scbus6 target 0 lun 0 (pass4,ses0)

[root@randy ~]# gpart show
=> 40 976773088 ada0 GPT (466G)
40 1024 1 freebsd-boot (512K)
1064 984 - free - (492K)
2048 4194304 2 freebsd-swap (2.0G)
4196352 972576768 3 freebsd-zfs (464G)
976773120 8 - free - (4.0K)

=> 40 976773088 ada1 GPT (466G)
40 1024 1 freebsd-boot (512K)
1064 984 - free - (492K)
2048 4194304 2 freebsd-swap (2.0G)
4196352 972576768 3 freebsd-zfs (464G)
976773120 8 - free - (4.0K)

=> 40 1953525088 ada2 GPT (932G)
40 532480 1 efi (260M)
532520 1024 2 freebsd-boot (512K)
533544 984 - free - (492K)
534528 4194304 3 freebsd-swap (2.0G)
4728832 1948794880 4 freebsd-zfs (929G)
1953523712 1416 - free - (708K)

Last edited:
To get into the iPad, how about going through Apple's iCloud? You can upload things into there from a web browser, which would have to be running on a machine that has access to the files (in your case, on FreeBSD). Another option would be to NFS or Samba export the files from your FreeBSD machine, mount the export from a Mac, and use that to copy them to iCloud.

I don't know how to get directly into an iPad. With Android, it is supposedly possible.

Hello again, Well, I brought my old Windows 10 computer out of mothball and bought a wireless Netgear adapter for my BSD desktop and finally got it up and running. My idea was to use Caja Windows Network and be able to transfer my BSD files to Windows and then learn how to take those files from windows to my (iOS) iPad. Well, I have no experience nor knowledge as to how to get Caja Windows Network to connect with Windows. If any BSDrs have a nice "how to" written somewhere, I would be humbled and appreciative of it. In the meantime, I can look at long ago photos and still cherish my time with my wife who was taken by cancer last July.

You can upload the photos to https://imageshack.com on your desktop, then access the same imageshack account using your iPad. Any site you might have already joined will do, like perhaps Photobucket, Facebook, or etc., etc. ...

I brought my old Windows 10 computer out of mothball
If you have windows 10 running why not simply use Apples iTunes to transfer the files to the iPad by USB cable after they were transferred from the FreeBSD box.

Apple support: Download and use iTunes for Windows 10
With iTunes for Windows 10, you can ... sync content from your computer to your ... iPad...

There are two download links for iTunes for Windows 10, 64-bit and 32-bit. Choose the one for your Windows 10 version.
If you can't access the Microsoft Store

Download iTunes 12.10.11 for Windows 10 (64-bit)
Download iTunes 12.10.11 for Windows 10 (32-bit)

Simplest solution to transfer the files from the FreeBSD machine would be to mount a FAT formatted USB stick and copy them over (don't forget to umount(8) the device before unplugging it).

On the Windows 10 machine, after plugging in the USB device, open ITunes and import the photos:

iTunes User Guide - Import media from a computer to iTunes on PC , then Use iTunes to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer.

I would also like to offer my condolences on the loss of your wife.

Apple certainly knows how to be a pain in the ass if/when they really want to do so. A friend of mine had no problems to negotiate with them for their game to be playable at iOS and sold at Apple Store (among other places).

Who said at the days preceding the official release on Steam the iOS had already sent the data or signed what was needed, anyway, basically, done what they agreed to --- and kept agreeing? Ten phone calls and a weekend later, the issue was solved, but you got my point.

If you have windows 10 running why not simply use Apples iTunes to transfer the files to the iPad by USB cable after they were transferred from the FreeBSD box.

Apple support: Download and use iTunes for Windows 10

There are two download links for iTunes for Windows 10, 64-bit and 32-bit. Choose the one for your Windows 10 version.

Simplest solution to transfer the files from the FreeBSD machine would be to mount a FAT formatted USB stick and copy them over (don't forget to umount(8) the device before unplugging it).

On the Windows 10 machine, after plugging in the USB device, open ITunes and import the photos:

iTunes User Guide - Import media from a computer to iTunes on PC , then Use iTunes to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer.

I would also like to offer my condolences on the loss of your wife.
As soon as I finish all the domestic issues - trust, taxes, transfers etc.… - I'll get back into a mind-set of computer land and carry out the elements of your post. Again, thank you for your time and support.

See https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250539649

You can use the Apple Files app to transfer from any shared device (my photos are stored on a FreeNAS share) to the iPad and then use one of the methods from the above thread to put them in the photos. Or alternatively, open the photo while in Files and use the “image save“ function directly.

I'm trying to erase/format a 1gb flash drive to load my photos on, but here is my situation:
Code:
[root@randy ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0s1 bs=1m count=128
dd: /dev/da0s1: Operation not permitted
Also, I have used this command:
newfs -L usbdisk -02 -U -m 6 /dev/da0s1

Just use a browser (firefox, chrome, falkon, konqueror, etc) to upload files from FreeBSD machine to iCloud/Google Drive/Dropbox/whatever... then use iPad to slurp 'em down. Keep it simple.

Is it mounted?
Well, now that I've had to purchase an 2TB flash drive to be able to load all of my photos, I have carried out the dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0 bs=1m command, which took some time, and then have not been able to make any of the mount commands work. I carried out a quick format on my old Windows 10 system and then inserted it into my 13.1 ZFS system of which I installed and used the automount program for years and my BSD system recognizes the drive, but it shows that it is not mounted. The "mount_msdosfs" syntax is not recognized, nor any of the mount(8) examples have worked either. The /dev - stat da0 shows the drive to be "rw" and all my rc.conf, devfs.rules, devfs.conf and sysctl.conf files have been compliant with my system since I loaded 13.0 and upgraded to 13.1. I've googled and read forums for over a week now with no success in this quest. Again thank you for your time and support Sir Dice!

Is it mounted?

Sorry, but that's the wrong way to handle a 2TB drive... I have several of those, and they don't take kindly to mount_msdosfs or dd stuff. For starters, msdosfs can't see anything bigger than 4 GB. To see 4 GB or more, OP needs to installsysutils/fusefs-ntfs/, which provides fusefs.ko and ntfs-3g. Once that is installed, OP should follow the instructions in pkg-message section of the port. devfs.rules stuff still applies, BTW...

Sorry, but that's the wrong way to handle a 2TB drive... I have several of those, and they don't take kindly to mount_msdosfs or dd stuff. For starters, msdosfs can't see anything bigger than 4 GB. To see 4 GB or more, OP needs to installsysutils/fusefs-ntfs/, which provides fusefs.ko and ntfs-3g. Once that is installed, OP should follow the instructions in pkg-message section of the port. devfs.rules stuff still applies, BTW...
Message: mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/da0 /mnt/usb - Operation not supported by device. That is after fusefs-ntfs installation. When I cd /dev and ls only da0 is shown. So I chmod 666 /dev/da0 and the stat shows da0 as rw. So my thought is that I'm missing something that I'm not aware of in this procedure.

Well, I now feel rather incompetent, according to the flash drive that was sent is listed as USB Flash Drive 2T...op Tablet Computers. Maybe that is why the Operation not supported by device is shown?

Try first to format an ntfs partition on drive da0 with Windows or freebsd (mkntfs)
After that mount the partition in freebsd : /dev/da0sX or /dev/da0pX.

Try first to format an ntfs partition on drive da0 with Windows or freebsd (mkntfs)
After that mount the partition in freebsd : /dev/da0sX or /dev/da0pX.
I'm not accomplished enough to carry out your suggestion, but would be very humbled if you were to show the correct syntax as to how to carry it out.

I like to do this:
Code:
dmesg | grep da # this shows whether you need to use da0 or da1 in the mount command
gpart show da0 # or da1, depending on output from dmesg
ntfs-3g /dev/da0s1 /mnt/usb # instead of mount -t

TBH, the FreeBSD Handbook covers this, so I'd recommend reading it.

Code:
gpart destroy /dev/da0
gpart create -s GPT /dev/da0
gpart add -t ntfs /dev/da0
mkntfs -v -L myntfs /dev/da0p1
mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/da0p1 /mnt/usb
Mr. De Vos, I want to thank you for sharing your knowledge with me! I carried out your SYNTAX as written three times and after the mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/da0p1 /mnt/usb, the same message of "Operation not supported by device" was shown. So my assumption is that the Flash Drive was programmed to only work on Tablets. That is an assumption formulated on the basis of total lack of knowledge & experience, but I have sent it back and this time ordered one that states clearly that it is for Desktops and Laptops. I'll let you know my experience when I try to mount the new Flash Drive with your SYNTAX shown in post #22.

Back