TP LINK has no power when plugged in

Well, this is weird. TP LINK Wireless USB is plugged in PC and when a) I boot Windows it works b) when I boot BSD it has not power (the LED is not blinking). Anybody has any clue?

Could be it doesn't do anything until the right driver is loaded. Could be that it need a USB quirk or workaround. Check /var/log/messages. It would also be helpful to know the model number. From that, we might be able to identify the chipset and then the driver it needs.

Thank you for the very fast answer. It's TP-LINK TL-WN422G High Gain 54MBps. What's the chipset I have no idea at all.

And one more thing: Since I hasn't been able to install anything under FreeBSD I installed PC-BSD, which is the same thing, but now all windows and taskbar are gone and I can't access anything. That's very frustrating.

fnucc said:
And one more thing: Since I hasn't been able to install anything under FreeBSD I installed PC-BSD, which is the same thing, but now all windows and taskbar are gone and I can't access anything. That's very frustrating.

For best results, start a new thread for different subjects. But you might want to ask about that on the PCBSD forums.

The label below says that it's made in China :) nothing else. Are you telling me that I should compile driver or kernel?

Now I connected Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Honeycomb and turned on it's tethering. Still, it's on the usbconfig list but not in the network manager. Does anyone has some experience with Android? I thought it may be: computer via USB via Galaxy via wireless router.

Thank you for the link. I run ndisgen but now it wants source code. I started download of the whole system and I'll try to run it again when I burn a DVD with source code on it.

fnucc said:
Thank you for the link. I run ndisgen but now it wants source code. I started download of the whole system and I'll try to run it again when I burn a DVD with source code on it.

A DVD is not necessary. csup(1) or freebsd-update(8) can both retrieve the source code from the FreeBSD servers.

OK, I managed to copy the source code, run ndisgen (there were some syntax errors but I managed to find out where), and I ran kldload. Now, usbconfig still sees it as an ugen (that's a generic USB device if I'm right) and network manager still doesn't recognize it.

After loading the driver, reconnect the USB stick. Make sure to use the Windows XP driver with ndisgen(8). Sorry, I don't have much else to suggest.

Nothing to be sorry about, you helped me a lot. I think it won't work. I used XP drivers (64-bit because I installed 64-bit BSD), did kldload driver and kldload ndis and if_ndis. However, dmesg doesn't show "ndis0: ...", there are no ndis devices, so I'm stuck now.

Okie, dokie, the adventure continues. usbconfig shows that my TP-LINK with beautiful Atheros chip is on ugen4. Now, dmesg says
Code:
root mount waiting for: ugen4
Any idea how to mount it?

On boot, it tries to mount devices for the root filesystem. Have you tried to boot with the TP-LINK attached before? Or maybe the NDIS driver managed to initialize the hardware, just not enough to work.

First, I'm sorry for not formatting my post properly. I tried manual boot (kldload) and reboot, with the device attached before boot and after it. The result was the same. I tried drivers for XP 64 and winx64, no result. I'm starting to think that this wireless chipset will not work on my system.

There are probably three chipsets in the whole world that don't work with FreeBSD and I have one of them :) I'll through those links to see is there any solution and I wonder is there any generic driver that can be modified. I believe I'll try to find a wireless card instead of this USB stick but I don't give up, I'll make it work sooner or later.

It's interesting that Atheros on its website states that AR9271 has Linux drivers. I'll go a bit deeper into it.

In the meantime I found an old D-Link DWL-G510 pci card which is recognized by the FreeBSD. Well, I think it it. It is "associated", Update works (says that the system is updated) but AppCaffe says the network connection is not OK. I must figure out now what's wrong, hopefully just some settings.

Back