Shell Tool for shell script?

Greetings all,

is there a tool that would let me use vi editor and perform syntax checks, e.g., mismatched parenthesis, missing brackets, POSIX compliance, and the like?

Kindest regards,

M

I think your question is overly vague. There are many IDEs out there that can ASSIST you in syntax checks. Hell, I spend more time trying to figure out how to disable those features in eclipse so that I can get real work done. The answer to your question will be dependent upon 1) what language/grammar you are trying to parse, 2) what level of syntax of usage you expect it to help with, and 3) whether you expect it to exist for a specific editor...ie vi.

Hi tempest766,

without being argumentative, after all you are trying to help, I believe that all your notes have been addressed. Re: 1) the title reads shell, which implies shell commands; re: 2) being a beginner, I do not know what level of sophistication is possible, so I have given examples; re: 3) I have explicitly specified vi.

Anyway, if you can add to other member's recommendation, I would appreciate it.

Hi lebarondemerde,

Thank you, I did not know that.

Hi Minbari,

thank you for suggestion, I will compare it with tobik's suggestion.

Hi @tobik,

thank you, I actually found and used https://www.shellcheck.net/, which prompted me to start this thread to see if a similar tool is available.

Kindest regards,

M

Back