Solved TIDAL – DRM required (for audio but not necessarily for video, apparently)

… Spotify … Widevine DRM. … can't use the Spotify Web Player … tried with both www/chromium and www/iridium. …

Well I myself, more and more lean towards to use Tidal instead of Spotify. Tidal's web player works … with some nice music, and you don't need an account to listen to 30 secs of each track.

I couldn't listen without signing in, but thanks.

I can't seem to get Tidal audio working now in Firefox,

No response when the play button is clicked, true?

1642179227025.png

… may just require further tuning of pulseaudio? It sounds like they've likely updated to something more DRM-ish since Conny's reply in 2018. interestingly music videos work fine for me on Tidal though. And there is also a free ad-supported tier of account now.

Sorry, I was very recently asked to cease contributing to old topics.

Here, I chose to begin a new topic, instead of assist in an old topic that's explicitly obsolete and not about TIDAL.

I'm sorry that the linked quotes didn't make clear the reason for not discussing TIDAL in the linked topic. I added a screenshot of the title of the linked topic.

I also like the idea of TIDAL, if it can work on FreeBSD – ideally in www/firefox, as pictured in the opening post.

Tidal is a stroke of genius for putting double the price tag on a thing which costs basically only half elsewhere for some fringe benefits at best.

… I forgot to actually make it solved.

You can't :)

It's the opening poster's responsibility.

I omitted to make clear who I was thanking:

if it can work on FreeBSD – ideally in www/firefox,

The Tidal web player needs drm

In a nutshell, TIDAL is far from ideal, because:
  • it failed from the outset in my preferred web browser
  • this problem can not be fixed by the end user
– topic solved.

Thanks CoolHwhipMike

The Widevine discussion can continue here:

Nothing lures a potential customer more than the phrase failed payment, when the non-customer made no offer to pay for a non-usable service …

1642798214863.png

Back