Xfce Thunar is slow when browsing automounted NFS shares

Hi,

I am using automount included in 11.0 base to automatically mount NFS share on local network. Loading content in /net directory, as well as all the subdirectories, takes at least 5 seconds on my laptop. Can something be done to speed this up?

Thank you in advance.

Edit: I just tried the same from clementine-player and it flies without latency.

Maybe Thunar does not detect that it's on an NFS share and still tries to generate thumbnails? In the preferences try setting the "Show thumbnails" option to "Never".

Define "loading." Do you mean the first time you access a directory, or every time you access a directory?

Loading means every time I access any directory under /net, including /net. This includes not only double-clicking the folder to list its contents, but also clicking "up" or "back" buttons.

Maybe Thunar does not detect that it's on an NFS share and still tries to generate thumbnails? In the preferences try setting the "Show thumbnails" option to "Never".

Thunar is set to "View new folders using: Compact List View", and "Show thumbnails: Never".

<bump>
Am I the only forum member experiencing this? Any other Thunar users around who automount NFS shares?

Hey. I can tell that Thunar is slow. If clementine is faster and access via console is fast, it's Thunar hitting the brakes.
I use NFS with automount and it is very fast. Everything is instantly available. Server is a FreeBSD11 with ZFS striped mirrors with 4 WD-Red 2TB.
I expected the same inconsistent behaivor with NFS and Samby as you last year and investigated that a little bit.
Read further if you like...

It where kind of simple tests where I just copied from and to a Linux NAS (with two mirrored WD-Red 2TB). Both single big video files and bunches of small files.
The transfer speed was monitored via the NAS's webinterface.

I can tell you that Thunar's mount feature gave me the far worst performance with only about 1mb/s - 5mb/s.
Mounting nfs/samba manually via the mount command and then using Thunar to copy the same files ramped the speed up to something around 40mb/s - 70mb/s if I remember that right.
I tried also with Caja and PacmanFM. which all performed about the same when nfs/samba where mounted manually. Caja's and PacmanFM's own mount features are far better then Thunar's, but both where also a bit slower as when NFS/Samba where manually mounted.
The fastest to copy via the samba protocol was the a Samba command line tool. With it, copying big video files gave me up to 115mb/s which can be considered almost maxed out the disks and 1000mbit LAN i guess.
The same for NFS. Manually mounted and than using cp on the console also gave me max speed of around 115mb/s.

So absolutely possible that Thunar is slowing things down.

Back