Thread rating

It just occurred to me that I only see thread rating being used occasionally when a newbie rates his own (often not-so-good) question with five stars. How about simply disabling thread rating altogether? It's rarely used on this site and only causes clutter imho.

Fonz

Oxyd said:
What? There's thread rating? How come I don't see any rating for any thread?
Probably because it's rarely used, but there's a rated thread now in the Firewalls forum.

@wblock: Now that you mention it, neither do I. I can rate an already-rated thread but I can't "start" a rating (nor do I wish to).

Fonz

fonz said:
Probably because it's rarely used, but there's a rated thread now in the Firewalls forum.

Aha. Since it's so rarely used, I don't see the problem with it "cluttering" the forum. However, I don't see a reason to have it either -- especially since it's used so little.

Oxyd said:
However, I don't see a reason to have it either -- especially since it's used so little.
Which also implies another problem: thread rating only works if "everybody" does it. Because none of the regulars here use it, any rating instantly becomes pretty much meaningless.

Fonz

fonz said:

@wblock: Now that you mention it, neither do I. I can rate an already-rated thread but I can't "start" a rating (nor do I wish to).

But how was it enabled on that thread?

No idea. I can't seem to do it, find it, edit it, or influence it.

On closer inspection, every thread in Firewalls has the 'rating bit' turned on for some reason. I'll ask an admin to switch that off, seeing it is of no use.

DutchDaemon said:
every thread in Firewalls has the 'rating bit' turned on for some reason.
A quick check reveals that GNOME and Web & Network Services are affected as well.

Fonz

Back