Thinkpad X300 - Slim Woes

Hello Everyone,

I have decided to give FreeBSD a go on my old X300 laptop. Got everything running apart from my graphics card. For some reason it defaults to 640x480. I have installed Xorg, LXDE and Slim packages and now I am unable to login through Slim, it looks like the graphics card driver is not loaded properly.

Any Ideas how I can disable slim on rc.conf? how do I check if the video driver is loaded? Tried booting on single user mode but that didn't work..

Thanks in advance!

If you can't get it fired up you can use the memstick installer and use LiveCD mode and then mount your installation and edit /etc/rc.conf

Once booted up to memstick use gpart show to show your broken installations disk format and use that information to mount the /root slice or partition.

Are you getting a bad/garbled display? You can blindly type exit and slim will dump out of the GUI login to the console. Then login normally and edit /etc/rc.conf.

Are you getting a bad/garbled display? You can blindly type exit and slim will dump out of the GUI login to the console. Then login normally and edit /etc/rc.conf.

Just tried this, screen goes blank but there's no console prompt..

In that case, I would do what Phishfry suggest and boot up with a LiveCD and fix it that way. You could also try to ssh to the laptop and remotely fix the problem. The blank screen is probably sitting at a login prompt, so you would need to blindly login as root and its password, then set the screen mode with vidcontrol 80x25 and then hope it works. LiveCD would be easier.

In that case, I would do what Phishfry suggest and boot up with a LiveCD and fix it that way. You could also try to ssh to the laptop and remotely fix the problem. The blank screen is probably sitting at a login prompt, so you would need to blindly login as root and its password, then set the screen mode with vidcontrol 80x25 and then hope it works. LiveCD would be easier.

Got it sorted after installing the xf86-video-intel driver.. btw, boot up is really slow compared to my archlinux installation on this laptop :/

acpiconf -s 3 is that how suspend works on free bsd? unfortunately synaptics crashed upon resume.

Back